Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Dynasty 200 dx problem

Hey all
    So I am doing some AC TIG, things are working great. 1/4" aluminum so I have it set to 200 amps and working the peddle.
    Then.... dead I figure I overheated even though the fan was running and the air out wasn't very warm and I was just tacking these parts together, so about a minute per and set the next.

I didn't see any help or alarm codes. I turned of the machine, unplugged it and let it sit for about an hour while I did some other things.

Plug it back in, turn it on. Here's what I have. The remote won't trigger anything AC or DC. The lift arc works on both, the pulse and other specials settings work.
    The remote peddle, remote on/off, and the remote thumb controls don't work.
    Before I dig in to see what I can see inside the case, can someone give me a hint where to start looking? It has to be an internal contactor, I just don't know if it is mechanical or electronic.
    Maybe a fuse? The owners manual isn't much help.

Hey Cruzier what do you think.
    LJ060154C

Thanks in advance
    Harold
    Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
    22A Feeder
    MM175
    Dynasty 200DX
    TB302
    12vs Extreme
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
    20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
    16" x 60" engine lathe
    65 Ton edwards iron worker
    3/16' x 24" power slip roll
    16' power feed mitering bandsaw
    and other fun toys

Programming glitch, perhaps pull a reset. Not much in the case for you to fix. No mechanical contactor, no moving parts other than fan

Default Thanks

Thanks cruizer I appreciate it.
    Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
    22A Feeder
    MM175
    Dynasty 200DX
    TB302
    12vs Extreme
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
    20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
    16" x 60" engine lathe
    65 Ton edwards iron worker
    3/16' x 24" power slip roll
    16' power feed mitering bandsaw
    and other fun toys

Check your pedal, make sure when you step on the pedal it completes the circuit.
    On you 14 pin plug check A and B. If you just step on the pedal a little A and B should close.
    CDE will control the amperage up and down.

Good Luck,
    Bob
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
    SA-200 Black Face '59
    SA-200 Green Lite '84
    SA-200 Green Lite '80
    SA-200 Red Face '69
    SA-200 Red Face '66
    SA-200 Green Lite '81
    '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
    Check your pedal, make sure when you step on the pedal it completes the circuit.
    On you 14 pin plug check A and B. If you just step on the pedal a little A and B should close.
    CDE will control the amperage up and down.

Good Luck,
    Bob
    Since the OP stated that the problem persisted with either a hand or foot control, I'd have to discount that as an issue.

Do any of the display values change when the foot or hand control goes from OFF to an ON state?
    Might also be worthwhile to check voltage at the contactor pins.

Something tells me you should be seeing a OV one pin (B) and 15VDC on the (A) pin.

Anything substantially less 15V on (A) pin would be cause to dig into the case.

I recently did a repair on my Dynasty 200SD which resulted from a TVS shorting the 10V reference voltage for the current control circuit to ground. (not the contactor)

This would be a really good candidate for a similar issue.

The B pin probably expects a 10-12V across it before it initiates.

I would measure from the A pin to D or K to measure voltage.

here is a link to the post I am referring to :

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...-control-issue
    Last edited by Irritantno9; 06-15-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Default My bad.

Didn't read that right?

Good Luck,
    Bob
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
    SA-200 Black Face '59
    SA-200 Green Lite '84
    SA-200 Green Lite '80
    SA-200 Red Face '69
    SA-200 Red Face '66
    SA-200 Green Lite '81
    '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Default Dynasty 200 DX HELP-8 code

My Dynasty 200 DX just recently flashed this help-8 code. The arc would start fluttering welding on DC and then the machine would stop welding. It did it once last week and all I did was turn the machine off and then back on and she will do just fine for the rest of the week. Monday I will did for about an hour and she did it again. Once again I turned it off and back on and she welded for about five more minutes. I decided not to push my luck and turn the machine off disconnected everything and took her to a certified Miller repair shop. They called me yesterday and said they cannot find anything wrong with it. An acquaintance of mine on Instagram told me he had the same code flash on his Miller Dynasty and that it was a foot pedal issue. In the manual help-8 is described as such "indicates a malfunction in the secondary power circuit of the unit. There is a high open current condition." Could this be a foot pedal problem? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Means it's time to remove that cover and tighten up some stuff, Tighten down the mods, they will be plastic covered devices with 2 philips head screws, want to tighten them down, torque will be something like 14 inch /lbs or reasonably hand tight, also tighten down the rear brass nuts on the output studs. Might want to use some red locktite on those. Make sure the 2 boards ontop of the main parent board are seated nicely in the connectors.

This is kinda a preventative maint issue, before something really bad happens.