Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Just got back.
    Bought a brass ground but had trouble finding lanthanated Tungsten.

Went to 2 weld shops...no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post

also... had you checked and tightened cable connections as Cruizer had suggested??

I'm about to put the Miller power cord back on and check the points so all connections will be checked.

ANOTHER approach you might think about is to sell the Dynasty you have and invest in a new one...
    it really depends on if your budget will allow... and if you wish to bypass the learning curve/grief of arc starts on the older one... probably have no problem selling it

or even find a newer "Blue Lightning" equipped one on the used market...
    (Dynasty 200 with a serial# of LJ280222L and above are equipped with "Blue Lightning")

And you could go directly to working on the car...
    I like this idea...this may be to much machine for me anyway.

I paid $1500 for the entire set-up with gas and a bunch of extra stuff. You have any idea of what it might fetch?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by scratchedup View Post
    Just got back.
    Bought a brass ground but had trouble finding lanthanated Tungsten.

Went to 2 weld shops...no luck.

This is the easy answer for 2% Lanthanated...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-HTP-2-Lan...#ht_841wt_1106

and your arc starts will probably improve as well...

there are several decent suppliers on fleabay/or internet..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I like this idea...this may be to much machine for me anyway.

I paid $1500 for the entire set-up with gas and a bunch of extra stuff. You have any idea of what it might fetch?
    Would think you could get $1500-2000 for the bare power supply.. but others might have a better handle on used prices...

would do some more checking..

for torch... reg..leads.. etc..do not know if you would buy all new or use the acces you have with the new supply..
    might make sense to bite the bullet and go all new..
    clean slate..

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    This is the easy answer for 2% Lanthanated...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-HTP-2-Lan...#ht_841wt_1106

and your arc starts will probably improve as well...

there are several decent suppliers on fleabay/or internet..

Yes thats what I figured....I use Amazon and Ebay all the time ...that was my next step.

GOOD NEWS.... I think I "fixed" the arc start problem.

New Brass Ground Clamp, Lightly sanded and MEK cleaned- grd to machine plug and torch cable plug to machine plug, all torch bits and reground & fine sanded tungsten (red...all I have for now) put all back together.

It fired about 25 arc starts....worked perfect.

Theres hope.

Thumbs up

Yes thats what I figured....I use Amazon and Ebay all the time ...that was my next step.

GOOD NEWS.... I think I "fixed" the arc start problem.

New Brass Ground Clamp, Lightly sanded and MEK cleaned- grd to machine plug and torch cable plug to machine plug, all torch bits and reground & fine sanded tungsten (red...all I have for now) put all back together.

It fired about 25 arc starts....worked perfect.

Theres hope.
    Glad to hear that....... Thank Cruizer for that suggestion...
    Last edited by H80N; 05-28-2014 at 04:50 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Compressor flange.....work in progress...welder's name is pirate...retired Delta airlines...

Cleaned up-

Last edited by scratchedup; 05-29-2014 at 08:10 PM.

if you debur the inside of the tube and remove fins before it is fitted and welded... there will be a lot less that needs to be ground out after welding..

also it looks like he is cooking those welds... he might consider increasing the amperage and speeding up his pace...
    it should result in smaller tighter beads that still have enough penetration to be sound..
    Last edited by H80N; 06-04-2014 at 04:09 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200