Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Spray Tank Trailer Build

I recently bought a forty gallon tank sprayer from Tractor Supply and needed a little trailer to haul it with. There was a version that comes with a wheel kit, but it is overpriced for what it is. Two wheels and a tongue to attach to a mower, and nothing else, not even a place to mount a spray boom. So I set about making my own version from material I already had. I wanted it to be four wheel, so it sits level when not hooked to the mower, and can be used independent of the mower moved by hand. I wanted it to back like a standard trailer not a tongue steered trailer. Used 1"x1" 4 gage tubing for most of it, welded with my MM140 and Hobart 0.030 flux core wire. Here's some pix of the build. Just getting started and figuring out piece sizes I need to cut and the wheels I have for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Wheel attachment

Here is where I started the supports for the rear axle and front casters. The start of the tongue is the last pic.

Default rolling frame

I got the frame in a rolling condition. Next is to make uprights with an extension off the back so there is place to mount a spray boom later, and hose wrap hangers on each side. I bolted the tank down to get some more measurements for the side pieces and get an idea what else I needed to do. I am making a little carrying area on the front to mount a trolling motor battery to run the pump on and carry the chemicals I will be mixing in the tank. It will have expanded metal in the bottom with a small rail around it to keep things in.

Here is the completed frame primed and ready for paint, and then painted and assembled. I will build a spray boom for it later after another trip to TSC to get the nozzles and other stuff to make it with. The boom kit they sell, costs about $100, and I know I can make a better one for WAY le$$. The assembled pix will be in the next post.

Default Completed

Here's the completed pics of it ready to go to work spraying stuff on the yard.

Default Made a Spray Boom

So I made a spray boom to add to the rear cross bar. I used four spray nozzles and some 1/2" pvc. This is the first official use for the combo I needed to spray the yard for some unwanted weeds that came with some sand I had hauled in a couple of years ago to smooth out the yard in several places.
    The first pix are of the tank fully loaded, ready to start. Two ore f it in action, and the last after the spraying. I used some spray that is supposed to kill weeds, that does not kill grass. The stuff I used is in the last pic, it is from Tractor Supply Co.