Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Generators

Default Two Generators

I'm going to buy a Big Blue Air Pak.

My question is can I run the Big Blue generator and my 302 Air Pak generator together?

Could I hook the Big Blue up three phase and the 302 single phase?

Or should I hook them both single phase?

And when I say me, I mean my electrician and me.

My 302 Air Pak will not run two houses and a well.

The Big Blue is 20,000 watts three phase/ 12,000 watts single phase and the 302 is 11,000 watts.

So what do you Think?
    Ideas?

Thank you,
    Bob
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
    SA-200 Black Face '59
    SA-200 Green Lite '84
    SA-200 Green Lite '80
    SA-200 Red Face '69
    SA-200 Red Face '66
    SA-200 Green Lite '81
    '70 Black Face Round Barrel

I would not even consider tying them together on the AC side. How could you keep them synchronized and in phase? You could blow up both welders, I suspect. I would think it would be more realistic to run one house on one unit and one house on the other.

Your house is not three phase, so figure to use it single phase.

There is probably a real electrician here with a more definitive recommendation.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
    I'm going to buy a Big Blue Air Pak.

My question is can I run the Big Blue generator and my 302 Air Pak generator together?

Could I hook the Big Blue up three phase and the 302 single phase?

Or should I hook them both single phase?

And when I say me, I mean my electrician and me.

My 302 Air Pak will not run two houses and a well.

The Big Blue is 20,000 watts three phase/ 12,000 watts single phase and the 302 is 11,000 watts.

So what do you Think?
    Ideas?

Thank you,
    Bob

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

In electrical school 40 years ago my instructor one year was State Electrical Inspector. He got his start in the Navy. They used a syncroscope to synchronize. One generator (alternator) running at 60 HZ, second a bit slower, while speeding up the slow one, watch the scope as the needle approaches zero, throw the switch. Once synchronized, they will self regulate.
    Being young, stupid they would screw around, deliberately throwing the switch at the wrong time. As he told it, the whole ship would shudder.

Cool Old Light Bulb Method..for info ONLY....

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    In electrical school 40 years ago my instructor one year was State Electrical Inspector. He got his start in the Navy. They used a syncroscope to synchronize. One generator (alternator) running at 60 HZ, second a bit slower, while speeding up the slow one, watch the scope as the needle approaches zero, throw the switch. Once synchronized, they will self regulate.
    Being young, stupid they would screw around, deliberately throwing the switch at the wrong time. As he told it, the whole ship would shudder.
    There is always the LIGHT BULB method...

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/949...SE-A-GENERATOR

3 Dark lamp method,,

http://roughrecord.blogspot.com/2010...dark-lamp.html

I am NOT suggesting it be used here... but posted it for general information...

have seen this used many times all over the world under some of the most primitive conditions...

BUT... might very well BLOW UP... a modern electronics controlled engine drive genset....

I do not know... but would not risk it...
    Last edited by H80N; 05-21-2014 at 08:24 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

A number of manufacturers are making a suitcase generator in the 2000-2500 watt range you can couple together. What they use for circuitry, I don't know. What is your application where you need to combine these?

Your not really thinking about tying both together, really....... The big blue will run everything you need. You'll let $$$ smoke out of the Airpack in short order

A number of manufacturers are making a suitcase generator in the 2000-2500 watt range you can couple together. What they use for circuitry, I don't know. What is your application where you need to combine these?
    These kind of generators are identical in design and build as are the ones on the navy ship they were syncronizing. But the two you are proposing to sync up are different design and output power. The lesser of the two is most likely going to take the short end of the stick and let out the magic smoke, and very well put on a small but spectacular light show for a very short period. So be sure to video tape what happens should you decide to try this. Maybe have a video recorder on each machine when you do it. We like this kind of light show if it is at someone elses expence and not our own equipment doing it. Then it's not so fun anymore.
    I don't recommend trying it, but it's your call.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    These kind of generators are identical in design and build as are the ones on the navy ship they were syncronizing. But the two you are proposing to sync up are different design and output power. The lesser of the two is most likely going to take the short end of the stick and let out the magic smoke, and very well put on a small but spectacular light show for a very short period. So be sure to video tape what happens should you decide to try this. Maybe have a video recorder on each machine when you do it. We like this kind of light show if it is at someone elses expence and not our own equipment doing it. Then it's not so fun anymore.
    I don't recommend trying it, but it's your call.
    I'm still trying to guess what sort of load you would need to tandem two big generators like these.

Default All for not

The load is the houses and the water well.
    My Trailblazer 302 Air Pak just kicks the breaker.
    I think the pump is to much.

But all of that is moot now.
    I got the Big Blue Air Pak but it did not have the optional generator.

Thank you very much, made for a good reading thread.
    Good Luck,
    Bob
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
    SA-200 Black Face '59
    SA-200 Green Lite '84
    SA-200 Green Lite '80
    SA-200 Red Face '69
    SA-200 Red Face '66
    SA-200 Green Lite '81
    '70 Black Face Round Barrel

I'm still trying to guess what sort of load you would need to tandem two big generators like these.
    I would not consider any of them mentioned in this thread as big generators. We have one at work that is 350KW, and I have run some that were 750KW. So these are still in the small range by my standards.