Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Miller Vs Hobart

In another post I complained about my Miller 180 Autoset using .023 wire welding inconsistently. Just for fun I changed my DVI-2 over to .023 and it worked flawlessly, so I must come to the conclusion that it is the machine.
    So now I am looking at the Hobart 190 handler with spool gun and have a couple of questions.

1. Will the 190 accept Miller/Bernard Mig guns or are the electrical and physical connection proprietary.
    2. I read on the forum that the 140 can only use a 10' gun, does that apply to the 190 as well?
    3. Is there any (miller type autoset feature) on the 190. The main reason I am trying to get away from the Miller. I like to weld a little wetter than the machine will allow, apparently from the "wire speed tracking system" on board the Miller. I want to set the machine where I want it, not what the machine wants to do.

What I am trying to do specifically is low heat welding on ornamental projects where the appearance of the weld is more important than the structural integrity. More importantly I need to weld with low heat to reduce the amount of warpage and to spend less time using heat to take the warpage out. I know the amount of warpage can be controlled by proper welding technique and placement of welds but it is just not practical for me to flip a project over and over, much faster to heat straighten when done.

For the complete story > http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...istent-welding
    Last edited by metalpuddler; 05-11-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Default Miller Vs Hobart

If I'm not wrong Miller owns Hobart so essentially they have the same machines....I might be wrong

Wire speed tracking can be turned off.

Autoset can be turned off and the chart inside the door used.

Got rid of my 211 because Miller told me the drive isn't rated for more than 10 foot gun, and that using a longer gun would void the warranty.

All the Hobarts I've looked at have click stops on settings, the Millers have infinite adjustments. No Hobart for me, and I doubt you'd like it either.

Even though the smaller Millers have "make believe" numbers (no real voltage or IPM) you can still "dial in" the settings that work for you - make a chart of your own when you find what works for you.

If none of this appeals to you, save up for a 252 - you'll still need to make your own chart if you want perfection.

The 252 will handle a 15 foot torch, and the 30A spoolgun has 30 foot leads instead of the 12 foot on the spoolmate 100. I don't do aluminum, but I keep a 2 lb. spool of .035 hard wire in the 30A just for the extra 15 feet of reach (do some fairly large projects)

I originally bought the 211 with spoolgun, used it for about a year and mostly used the chart settings instead of Autoset - for me, the chart and autoset were both a bit hot.

My reasons for the 211 were the MVP and "portability" - never used it on 120 volts, and at my age, 85 pounds plus 10 pounds of wire plus a gas cylinder is NOT portable :=( -
    I found a really good deal on a nearly new 252 with 2 bottles, dual running gear and a NEVER USED 30A gun. Never been sorry. (I do kinda wish I'd held onto the 211, but my buddy's happy he got a wire machine at a good price)

Free advice, ya get whatcha pay for ... Steve

How does one turn wire speed tracking off? This may be my only problem.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2

I do not own a welder with auto set, or have even used one. But, I believe auto set can be turned off, and you have infinite control. Most low amp MIG welders are tapped machines, where voltage is set, and you adjust wire speed to tailor your needs.

-Ian
    :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

I was going by the 3rd "feature" here

http://store.cyberweld.com/millermat...pdItemDataTabs

which states that the unit is shipped with the wire speed tracking turned off - when you asked how, I dnl one of the manuals here

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/l...&submit=Search

But when I searched the pdf for the word "track", only one instance showed up which explains exactly NOTHING.

It kinda sounds to me like wire speed tracking and autoset are the same thing? Dunno what's going on there. Just checked the 211 manual, there's no mention of the word "track" anywhere in it.

Have you tried turning autoset off and just following the chart inside the cover? For lighter stuff with my 211, I had pretty good luck setting things almost as low as the next thinnest metal from what I was welding.

Also, with thinner stuff it sometimes helps to "trigger weld", also known as manual pulse welding. Keeps the HAZ down without losing penetration... Steve

I do appearance grade welds on all thicknesses (22g-1/2") my 180 can handle. Never had a problem. I don't use the auto set as it's a gimmick for novice welders. I use .023 and .030, never .035. The .023 is a little tougher to get set up just right but runs nice once it's set up.

What exact problems are you having with the .023?

Had an extended conversation with D.... at Miller customer service today, gave them my settings, type of material and type of wire so they can try to reproduce the problem I am having on one of there machines in the shop. They seem genuinely interested in solving my issue.

While welding verticals on a gate or fence panel (hundreds of repetitive half inch welds) it may weld fine then out of the blue start banging the wire into the work like the wire speed has been drastically increased or burn the wire up the tip, there is no consistency to what it will do the next time you pull the trigger.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    I do appearance grade welds on all thicknesses (22g-1/2") my 180 can handle. Never had a problem. I don't use the auto set as it's a gimmick for novice welders. I use .023 and .030, never .035. The .023 is a little tougher to get set up just right but runs nice once it's set up.

What exact problems are you having with the .023?
    welding 1/2" with a 180? it's good your not looking for structural integrity unless you hang it on a wall in an earthquake zone with the couch under it.
    miller 225 bobcat
    miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
    Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
    hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
    victor journeyman & super range
    ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
    steel max and evolution carbide saws
    6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
    case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
    if first you don't succeed
    trash the b#####d

Quote Originally Posted by kerr74 View Post
    If I'm not wrong Miller owns Hobart so essentially they have the same machines....I might be wrong
    You're wrong.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....