Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Yes, most definitely put it back to how the designers designed the unit in the first place, I mean jamming #8 cord through where #12 was , is some words you don't like. I'm through with this tab anyways....
    Geeez your hurting my feeeeelings again .

I thought it was kinda cool.

Also, not to be difficult here but the original cord was [if I'm not mistaken] 14ga. The smallness of it shocked me and was a factor in replacing it.

More food for fodder...Call me a contrarian but in my life I have learned not infrequently the experts are wrong and or there are some time forces at work [usu. $$$] that effect design decisions that may be good for the bean counters but not the designers intentions or the customers final product....

Flame on.....

+ I'm just having some fun here but I do plan on putting the Miller cord back on the Miller Machine.
    Last edited by scratchedup; 05-25-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Seriously... Who gives a hoot about the cord issues that have gone on for pages?
    The real question is, WHAT are your start parameters set at???
    You have had threads linked for you and you even said that you like to read tech stuff etc.
    Good. Now find out how to check your start voltage, start time, and start polarity.
    Then look up a later Blue Lightning Dynasty manual, and set your machine to those settings.
    I have had 3 200 dx's and this is how you set them. Then every time before you weld, simply touch the tungsten to your work and pull away and hit the trigger.
    That is how you correctly operate this machine.
    No need to turn this into a flame thread. Just do what people show you and when you get good at it, you will be happy
    No need to have long repetitive discussions over the same thing and then get upset when people grow weary because of no results.
    We've all been there and done that....now it's just your turn.
    Btw... You were asked about several things that you didn't tell us what you had, such as ground cable and leads etc.
    I don't get on here much anymore. But there are plenty of people here who are sharp and willing to help.
    BUT... If you are willing to diligently search and read loads of old threads, you will learn WAY more than simply asking and depending on the mercy of those who chose to help you.
    Seriously..... Like a full decade of info at your fingertips.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Well said Fusion, but all this guy wants is "the fix". The magic handout. His entitlement granted by Miller that all machines painted blue will be fixed for nothing even though it looks like they dragged it down the road behind their vehicle. Did y'all see the condition of the case in his pics? Why does the torch that came with it have a gas valve on it? Does the gas solenoid in the machine work?

http://www.weld.com/index.php/Weeken...ewbee-101.html

This machine has done its tour of duty. Post the machine hours and arc strikes!!

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

Ok, I'm beginning to see more here after reading that thread.
    OP needs to learn a bit more about how to weld before some of all the other makes sense.
    If you don't already have a feel for it and everyone you know is "Old School" then it is an uphill battle.
    Inverters are a different animal. They have a lot of features that are useless to a beginner. Or a person not up on newer equipment. A lot has changed in the welding industry in the last 15-20 years. A new Diversion might have been a better choice in this case.
    He has come to the right place, it's just gonna be awhile. Not gonna happen overnight.
    IMHO YMMV

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Great input...I appreciate it....

Am I looking for a magic bullet....heck yea...but I also know usually a magic bullet is really just hard work and study.

My job gives me latitude to be on the internet quite a bit so I am probably guilty of asking too many question before following through with some action steps.

My car project is my top priority...to finish it. Purchasing the welder was not really planned. It popped up for sale and it was in my future plans so I bought it.

I am guilty of not spending the time needed studying and practicing welding but finishing the car is just more important right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ja baudin View Post
    "...His entitlement granted by Miller that all machines painted blue will be fixed for nothing even though it looks like they dragged it down the road behind their vehicle. ......

This machine has done its tour of duty. Post the machine hours and arc strikes!!
    When I get a chance I will post the "tour of duty". I've been working many days straight.

BTW I am not the guy who expects something for nothing...never have been. I would happily pay to have the machine totally refurbished if that is what is necessary and or possible.

It may be all BS but if one does a Google search of "Miller Dynasty 200 HF arc start problems" there are more then a few hits. Usually "excellent" companies stand behind their products.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by scratchedup View Post
    Great input...I appreciate it....

Am I looking for a magic bullet....heck yea...but I also know usually a magic bullet is really just hard work and study.

My job gives me latitude to be on the internet quite a bit so I am probably guilty of asking too many question before following through with some action steps.

My car project is my top priority...to finish it. Purchasing the welder was not really planned. It popped up for sale and it was in my future plans so I bought it.

I am guilty of not spending the time needed studying and practicing welding but finishing the car is just more important right now.
    Might you want to share your car project with us by starting a thread over on the "Motorsports" forum..??

we are ALWAYS interested in that type of stuff...
    Last edited by H80N; 05-26-2014 at 10:38 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post

"May have an inferior ground clamp, ie, non brass version......."
    I think the ground clamp is good. Recently I took it apart and cleaned it up real shinny. The contact point is brass.

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Might you want to share your car project with us by starting a thread over on the "Motorsports" forum..??

we are ALWAYS interested in that type of stuff...
    Thanks

I can do that but since I have done 0 of my own welding its feels a little awkward.

My father did gas welding and I learned how to do that over 30 years ago but never continued.

My whole car modify and metal working obsession did not occur until I hit 50 several years ago.

The used welding machine purchase came due to frustration getting welding done how I wanted it.....SS v-band clamps....warping.....non use of purging gas....

I have since realized that TIG welding for an old guy is pretty duanting.

just wanted my cute little blue machine to work....magically

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by scratchedup View Post
    Thanks

I can do that but since I have done 0 of my own welding its feels a little awkward.

My father did gas welding and I learned how to do that over 30 years ago but never continued.

My whole car modify and metal working obsession did not occur until I hit 50 several years ago.

The used welding machine purchase came due to frustration getting welding done how I wanted it.....SS v-band clamps....warping.....non use of purging gas....

I have since realized that TIG welding for an old guy is pretty duanting.

just wanted my cute little blue machine to work....magically
    Hang in there .. you will get there in time...

there are PLENTY of pre "Blue Lightning" machines like yours still out there and giving excellent service..

best not worry about modifying it to current spec... just learn to work with it's quirks... it is still an Excellent Machine...

if you must have a current "Blue Lightning" machine.. then be prepared to bite the bullet and buy a new one... these machines have gone through continious development and improvement (23+ iterations)... so there is no quick fix or board swap..

The TIG skills will take some time and study.. like any complex skillset worth having... but I think you might be surprised at how quickly you do pick up usable welding ability... the rythm and smoothness will take more time and practice... but very doable..

I think the advice that FusionKing gave you sums it up best.. his posts were excellent..

His welding skills are Excellent too..

https://www.facebook.com/OutBackAluminumWelding
    Last edited by H80N; 05-26-2014 at 11:48 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..