Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

guess i've been initiated

You guys have been great. I really appreciate the help....I need it and this is a fantastic resource!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by scratchedup View Post
    guess i've been initiated

You guys have been great. I really appreciate the help....I need it and this is a fantastic resource!
    Glad you are still here...

You will not find too many candied words here…

What you will find is a group of people with an interest in solving problems and helping people

Who volunteer their time, expertise and experience to find resolution to those issues…

True…. Sometimes those responses and answers are pretty direct and may seem brusque..

Think of it like a design review or problem solving session in an industry or scientific setting…

Candy coated does not apply… clear, concise… (sometimes a little sarcastic) answers are the order of the day.. there is a definate tendency to cut to the chase....

Just as when you are asked a direct question in your area of expertise.....
    one might suspect that you would also give the most direct unvarnished answer...
    ..... something about a bear depositing fertilizer in the forest....
    Last edited by H80N; 05-23-2014 at 08:54 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I've been reading the Diamond Group Tungsten Guidebook.

It recommends a dedicated diamond grinding wheel. Looking at the usual sources (ebay, Amazon) what grit grinding wheel would you recommend.

And there is a big section on cutting the tungstens......again I'm looking for advice here. I'm a believer in proper tools. What do I need to have to properly cut the tungstens?

I recently purchased a dedicated grinder but it is not powered up yet. If I get a diamond wheel on one side what kind of wheel should I get for the other end side?

Quote Originally Posted by scratchedup View Post
    I've been reading the Diamond Group Tungsten Guidebook.

It recommends a dedicated diamond grinding wheel. Looking at the usual sources (ebay, Amazon) what grit grinding wheel would you recommend.

And there is a big section on cutting the tungstens......again I'm looking for advice here. I'm a believer in proper tools. What do I need to have to properly cut the tungstens?

I recently purchased a dedicated grinder but it is not powered up yet. If I get a diamond wheel on one side what kind of wheel should I get for the other end side?
    Why cut them..?? why not just use the long backcap and leave them full length..??....they will get shorter with use/reprep..
    if you do need to shorten for short backcap tight places...
    jusy notch with the grinder and snap across a sharp edge like a steel benchtop... then grind/prep as usual..

I have been using a bench grinder with a dedicated wheel for many many years... no diamond wheel or fancy/expensive purpose built tung grinder...

has worked for me...

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

I'm just trying to be a good student. The link to the Tungsten Handbook is very clear and specific...

Diamond wheel, If the tungsten touches the pool ones needs to cut it off and re-sharpen and the cutting must be performed correctly.....

This may be small but it comes from the link earlier in this thread.

I realize this is probably over kill (like my cable) but just throwing it out there for discussion.

Smile

Ya Busted Me...Wise Guy...

The handbook does indeed lay out "Best Practice"....... and would be ideal...

it would be even better if we bought our tungstens preground from them...

what I outlined is what I have been doing...

it is what you could get away with and get satisfactory results if you are careful..

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

I am one of those guys who reads manuals and directions.....

Just want my cute little Blue machine to work and since I just starting out I'm still acquiring some necessary equipment.

And have never minded spending good money on good tools.

Been working a lot but I should have a chance to take some photos and do this...

NO RED TUNGSTEN,,,

try some 2% Lanthanated,,,, bet the machine behaves better,,,
    (3/32 should cover about all situations with a Dyn 200)

OverKill Power Cord....installed in May 2012 when I purchased the machine used.

Factory 14ga cord-

New cord + ground connection-

BIG terminals!

Overview-

Doesn't look like 6 looks like 8, Toughy to fit #6 lugs on a 40amp switch, but never the less, overkill all the same.

DO NOT put pressure on that memory/control board from those cables, and tighten up the brass nuts on the backs of those output studs also make sure that the voltage sense lead is firmly placed on them
    Last edited by cruizer; 05-24-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Doesn't look like 6 looks like 8, Toughy to fit #6 lugs on a 40amp switch, but never the less, overkill all the same.

DO NOT put pressure on that memory/control board from those cables, and tighten up the brass nuts on the backs of those output studs also make sure that the voltage sense lead is firmly placed on them
    ok thx

yes actually not sure wot gage.....but its big.