Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Are you using a foot or hand control?

Quote Originally Posted by scratchedup View Post
    Thanks for the input...
    I have done quite a bit of research ...that is why I'm (Maybe) a little upset with Miller...it seems to be well known that these early machines had HF arc problems. They should own up...I have yet to contact them however.

I like your idea of a big factory re-set. No codes.

Mostly the machine sat in the back of a truck....I just don't think it was that used.

I replaced the whimpy 14ga cord with a 15' 6ga and cleaned up the inside. It was bought used about 3 years ago. I've used it maybe 10 times.

As far as what I weld...at this point it is just practice on mild steel with a little stainless thrown in. The setting are all the standard of what I'm doing.

The machine does fine with the welding its just the HF start that I'm having trouble with.
    Here is one of MANY threads on the subject...

worth your while to take the time and read..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...asty+arc+start

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Are you using a foot or hand control?
    hey cruiser the folks over on Weekend Warrior Welding said you could help...

I have a foot pedal.

Here is a link to my stuff...

http://www.weld.com/index.php/Weeken...ewbee-101.html
    Last edited by scratchedup; 05-19-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Now the HF, only comes on untill the arc is started then it shuts off, it maybe that your tig torch conduit is worn out, turned green with lots of resistance, It may be that the brass nuts on the backs of the output terminals are loose. Because you have no error codes, its quite likely that the machine isn't the problem,

May have an inferior ground clamp, ie, non brass version. Just cause you may be able to lift sart or scratch start means nothing. Also the unit doesn't like green tungsten. Just doesn't conduct well enough for an inverter.

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Here is one of MANY threads on the subject...

worth your while to take the time and read..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...asty+arc+start

just read the link...I think I;m more depressed.....did not see a lot on the fix....

just read the link...I think I;m more depressed.....did not see a lot on the fix....
    Not to get discouraged... just take your time and go through it step by step...
    do a reset.. and check start parameters.. etc...

it might just be something as simple as a bad ground/work clamp that needs to be replaced with a good bronze Lenco or Tweco...
    or one of the other possibles as Cruizer has suggested...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by H80N; 05-19-2014 at 07:18 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

The procedure to view arc hours and arc starts is in the manual posted in the link earlier in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    The procedure to view arc hours and arc starts is in the manual posted in the link earlier in this thread.
    I guess that would be page 48...

Yesterday I printed out the entire manual.

Also, I hooked up everything on the cleaned up a new red tungsten, re-set to factory setting. At first it fired every time but then became kind of intermittent.

I plan on taking it in the shop. There is a tech there who has the same machine.

Intermittent is very frustrating.

I guess that would be page 48...

Yesterday I printed out the entire manual.

Also, I hooked up everything on the cleaned up a new red tungsten, re-set to factory setting. At first it fired every time but then became kind of intermittent.

I plan on taking it in the shop. There is a tech there who has the same machine.

Intermittent is very frustrating.
    NO RED TUNGSTEN,,,

try some 2% Lanthanated,,,, bet the machine behaves better,,,
    (3/32 should cover about all situations with a Dyn 200)
    Last edited by H80N; 05-22-2014 at 08:24 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

My guess is that an honest tech will find NOTHING wrong with your Dynasty...

Tungsten selection and prep is very different between Transformer and Inverter welders.... and could contribute to your problems...

this guidebook should help..

http://www.diamondground.com/TungstenGuidebook2013.pdf

there are many thousands of pre "Blue Lightning" Dynasties being used every day..

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200