Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 75
  1. #1

    Default New Here DX 200 HF Arc Start problem

    Very much a beginning welder. Recently purchased a used DX 200. It appears the HF start is not working.

    Goggle tells me that this is a recurring problem. I can hear the points firing but NO arc.

    Can the points be cleaned.....found new board on ebay for $350!

    All setting are correct and Tungsten is sharp and clean.

    Any help here? Is this a re-curing Miller dx 200 problem?

    I will be back with specific ser#.....

  2. #2

    Default

    this seems to be the common theme.....

    We have an older dynasty 200 as well. Ours is doing same stuff. Needs new board. We tried adjusting gap and cleaning it but no go. Sucks. Newer ones have different hf starting. No way to upgrade either.

    We wanted a water cooled setup so just got a 280 dx to replace the 200dx.

    just wondering if Miller is a "stand-up" company or not.....

    This welder was not free...and if it is defective.......from the get-go.......?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,099

    Smile

    There have been a lot of threads on this subject...

    you might read a few of them...

    welder serial#....?? that will tell us the age and build series.. (there have been 23+ iterations of the Dynasty 200DX)

    Did you try it under power before you bought it...??

    surely you checked it out and made sure it was fully operational before laying out the money..??
    Last edited by H80N; 05-18-2014 at 08:51 PM.
    .

    *******************************************
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

    Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

    My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

    TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    542

    Default

    As with any tool, things wear out and break. How many hours and arc starts does the unit have?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    There have been a lot of threads on this subject...

    you might read a few of them...

    welder serial#....?? that will tell us the age and build series.. (there have been 23+ iterations of the Dynasty 200DX)

    Did you try it under power before you bought it...??

    surely you checked it out and made sure it was fully operational before laying out the money..??
    Ser# LF099147
    Stock# 907099-01

    surely I did not....check it out. Dumb on my part. I called the local weld shop (Sidney Lee) and they said for that price buy it! so i did.

    The problem is that I did not know enough at the time to test it.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    As with any tool, things wear out and break. How many hours and arc starts does the unit have?
    Point taken however this appears to be a genuine problem with this unit. I would expect a good company would stand behind it.....especially since their stuff is USA made and expensive.

    I do not mind paying for quality.

    At the end of the day I don't realistically expect much help.

    If the HF start board can be replaced with a new one and I could be assured it will give good service I'd be OK with that. I just don't want to throw a bunch of money at it and have it still not work.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    How many hours and arc starts does the unit have?
    How do I find this out?

  8. #8

    Default

    I just heard back from Miller4less-

    "Good Morning,

    Item #209112 has been superceded new item #230191 3 wk lead time from receipt of purchase $535.69


    Thanks,


    Dawn"

    Is it worth spending $537?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,099

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by scratchedup View Post
    Ser# LF099147
    Stock# 907099-01

    surely I did not....check it out. Dumb on my part. I called the local weld shop (Sidney Lee) and they said for that price buy it! so i did.

    The problem is that I did not know enough at the time to test it.
    Your Dyn200 is early-mid 2005... pre "Blue Lightning"

    here is the manual..

    http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o2240k_mil.pdf

    In all likelyhood it is not broken..

    earlier machines were a bit finicky about arc starts..

    there have been MANY threads on the subject.. you might search and read them..

    is it throwing error codes??...

    what are your settings..??.. and what are you trying to weld??

    You may want to reset it to factory defaults and try again...

    many times.. too many conflicting settings get entered and the DYN will go into brain freeze... and a reset will clear that.. worth a try..

    We have to remember... this is a 9 year old machine...that may have thousands of hours and arc starts... so anything is possible...
    Last edited by H80N; 05-19-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    .

    *******************************************
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

    Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

    My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

    TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Your Dyn200 is early-mid 2005... pre "Blue Lightning"

    here is the manual..

    http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o2240k_mil.pdf

    In all likelyhood it is not broken..

    earlier machines were a bit finicky about arc starts..

    there have been MANY threads on the subject.. you might search and read them..

    is it throwing error codes??...

    what are your settings..??.. and what are you trying to weld??

    You may want to reset it to factory defaults and try again...

    many times.. too many conflicting settings get entered and the DYN will go into brain freeze... and a reset will clear that.. worth a try..

    We have to remember... this is a 9 year old machine...that may have thousands of hours and arc starts... so anything is possible...
    Thanks for the input...
    I have done quite a bit of research ...that is why I'm (Maybe) a little upset with Miller...it seems to be well known that these early machines had HF arc problems. They should own up...I have yet to contact them however.

    I like your idea of a big factory re-set. No codes.

    Mostly the machine sat in the back of a truck....I just don't think it was that used.

    I replaced the whimpy 14ga cord with a 15' 6ga and cleaned up the inside. It was bought used about 3 years ago. I've used it maybe 10 times.

    As far as what I weld...at this point it is just practice on mild steel with a little stainless thrown in. The setting are all the standard of what I'm doing.

    The machine does fine with the welding its just the HF start that I'm having trouble with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.