Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Idea

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Quote Originally Posted by tommy2069 View Post
    if you welded and fitted for years then you should know a good bit of what will work and what won't work and also how to make the stuff that won't work work.there is always a way to make it you just have to think of past jobs and get it done.
    Yup, the man didn't know it wouldn't work, but he had his doubts. He could have turned someone's idea into a job, made some money, sent him off. That wouldn't be responsible. I feel we should commend him. The non customer should thank him.

Thank you.

I agree with you but sometimes we don't have a say in the matter till you make it their way and it fails then they say ok do it your way. the oil companies down here throw away so much money makin stuff that don't work when their told it wouldn't work in the first place .what I do is I inform them it won't work with the design they drew up and that if they still want it built no problem .I get them talking in front of a few other guys just to make sure I have witnesses to back me up that I told them it wouldn't work and that I'm not responsible for any t&m to get it working. been called into the office way to many times with the company man complaining about the price.after I tell them I said it wasn't gonna work in the first place but I was told to make it anyway they end up chewin somebody a new hole .they then tell me to build it my way or try to fix it at a reasonably cost.

you did the right thing, turn down a job that your gut told you to do, dont second guess your decision, i get crap like this all the time in my shop, people who are far from an engineer think that they know steel fabrication and dream up this stuff, if you are in business for your self, and take money for a service rendered, you, by far, are the pro, when this thing fails, you will be in court defending your self, not the customer, if it failed, you should of known better. my opinion, you made the smart choice

I also think you did the right thing to turn it down, I never let someone talk me into building something that I feel is unsafe.

If there is not a safety issue than I voice my opinion ( Let them know how it should be done in my opinion )
    I then let them decide from there.

However, Many of us that are owners of welding companies have to also be engineers, we just don't have the paper that says that we are.

I have engineered thousands of things over the last 26 years of being in business, I do just as another member said, ( I reflect back on other jobs that I have done along with what structural engineers have told me to do over the years ) and doing so I now have a pretty good feel for design.

yea, you are right, P.W., we learn from our years of on the job training, and a little class time, too. when i have any doubt or question of a build, i will not start the job until i am 100 % sure that it will be done correctly, most customers do not want to hear that, too bad, its my rump if there is a failure, not theirs

I just happen to see a camper driving through town with an extension on the back,, so I stopped the guy and took a look. He had to build the whole back half of camper with aluminum angle and his key word was,,,a lot of force back there took me a long time and a lot of 3x3 aluminum angle. The customer would never go for that because of the cost and time. So I probably saved myself a lawsuit. I just picture a freezer flipping in the opposite lane of traffic into a car full of people.

Thanks for your input Gentleman.

i just built a frame with a front receiver fitted to the plow frame of a 1 ton truck. the customer came over with his own steel and design, i reworked the design and used my own steel. the purpose of this build was to make a move across country and this thing will haul a pancake compressor. and a few other tools, about 200 pounds, no problem, job was done to perfection and performed as it was designed to do. the customer was so happy with it that he stopped by the shop to show it off on the tail end of the trip. i took 1 look at it and said, now that is why we welders dont do jobs like this. the container, welded to the frame was 2ftx2ftx6ft in length. this thing was filled to the top and then some with green wood of many different species, all cut in cubic foot chunks, my machienest hand book states that a cu.ft of oak is well over 100 lbs, ( i forgot the exact amount of weight, the book is in the shop), well he had over 12 cu ft of green wood in it. this is exactly what people do with the things that we repair for them. i know what they will do, even before they know what they will do, and i build accordingly. t.s. if they dont like it. we have to protect our profession

Yes exactly, they tell you they are going to put a little bit of stuff in or on then load it up with a set of D9 tracks! I know, and that is how I try to design it.