Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Bad Idea

Hybrid View

Default Bad Idea

Hello Gentlemen. I turned this job down because I felt it was a very bad idea because of the forces involved. It is a bracket on an over the cab camper in Alaska for mounting a 5 cubic foot freezer for fish and meat. I guessed he could probably put about 400 lbs of weight on the back of this thing. At first I thought I might do it but that thing hanging out there and our very rough roads made me cancel the job. Here is my initial plan. 1/4" diamond plate, lots of gussets, big hinge, chains helping support. size of bracket 24" long by 29" wide, a lot of air under that, not to mention the hinge and what its bolted to. I think it is something that could eventually break something some where. Let me know your thoughts on this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

maybe incorporate 2 spring loaded shocks

This guy is mad because 1/4" AL isn't cheap enough!

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Is there something in his receiver hitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Is there something in his receiver hitch?
    That would be the best solution. Good idea.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Sure but a well engineered part is "Good enough" a poorly engineered part is overbuilt ,,,,hopefully, or bad case under built. I have not had to many things break but I have seen a lot of things break. Aluminum is also a little different. Were does the part break on an AL welded part? In the actual weld because you took that strength away when you welded it, by about 50%, maybe a little less with different fillers and of course heat treatment and I cant heat treat a camper, that would wreck it.
    Amateur surgeon, like that one!

Quote Originally Posted by 11b View Post
    This guy is mad because 1/4" AL isn't cheap enough!
    So why are you upset???? Sounds like you already turned the job down, time to forget about it and move on.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

You are correct just trying to get a feel for a "next time thing" Everybody comes up with these ideas and they think you the welder, as an engineer in structural and electrical and holy **** biological physics. I am not that smart, so that is why I ask.

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Quote Originally Posted by 11b View Post
    You are correct just trying to get a feel for a "next time thing" Everybody comes up with these ideas and they think you the welder, as an engineer in structural and electrical and holy **** biological physics. I am not that smart, so that is why I ask.
    My multi millionaire customer was laying on the BS, but it made me feel good anyway. His pitch was " I'm not all that bright, so I surround myself with people smarter than me. I want you to keep me informed so I'm able to budget, but take ownership of this place. You make the decisions."

I know he was blowing warm air under my skirt, but in his words was wisdom.
    If we are going to get into engineering, we should learn engineering. Amateur surgeons aren't much in demand for a good reason.