MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Ok, SO I had the cover off today, Turns out I don't have my muliti-meter. So I can not report on any of the checks that you told me to do ( hope to get one). But I did see that slip rings look like they could be dressed, The have dark streaks in them and I could only see about and 1/8 or so of carbon left on the brushes, The unit has 2600 hrs on it and it looks like it never really had any maintenance done to it. I didn't notice any power problems (other than not kicking up when in idle/run on the generator side). I was welding 1/4 jet rod with it a also plugged my 211 on the 220 side and welded all day.

Being that I just bought it, I just want a solid base line and 100% working machine
    thanks
    D

I would sure use a stone on the slip rings and put new brushes on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kpack View Post
    I would sure use a stone on the slip rings and put new brushes on it.
    Actually if you use a fine grit emery, sprayed with brake clean, that's best. No reason to change out the brush cartridge. Might only show an 1/8", but they are spring loaded and thats all that shows out of the cartridge

Cruzier I thought 2600 hrs was a lot on a set of brushes. So you like Emory cloth and brake cleaner better than a commutator stone ?

Can I leave the rings on the unit and stick the stone/emery cloth in to the unit and run the machine and clean the rings, or do I have to take them off and put on a lathe (hope not). The rings aren't gouged bad just... used.... Sorry for the basic questions Just that I am new to this maintenance stuff as now I am my own boss,
    Still haven't gotten a chance to test the CT1 or PC2, but I will update when I do
    thanks again

I have used the stone with it running I clamp visegrips on it to hold it. Just lightly it doesn't take much. The other guys know but I think it helps to seat new brushes.
    I don't know yet how to use the Emory cloth we'll wait on cruzier.

No reason to take out the brush holder with a fine grit emory.. Doing it this way for many years without a problem. I spray the cloth first with brake clean, this also helpps to remove any oils or other contaminates off the rings as well. I just reach in and do it with my hand. There is no fan there and swish back and forth a few times on each ring. Using a vice grip or stick is silly and somewhat more dangerous.
    Last edited by cruizer; 05-16-2014 at 09:02 AM.

If a ring is gouged, I remove the brush holder and true it holding a exacto knife blade and with the tip I clean off the gouge edges, then meduim emory, then fine emory till the ring is smooth. Again zero reason to remove the rotor. This is done with the engine running

There a 3 type of comutator stone, and unless your near a motor rewind shop, its tough to get, white is for setting the brushes, now the brushes will set themselves, just takes a while and you'll have to put up with the whine till they do, in about 15 minutes of run time.

There is the brown, thats for cleaning the rings, and then there is the erasure type, kinda bendy and thats for fine lines. Really I only keep the white,