Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: airgas rant

Here is some pricing that I pay: Haz Mat Fee _____ $ 4.75

#4 acyt. or 145 Cu Ft. __________________________________ $ 49.30

337 Cu Ft. Oxy _______________________________________ $ 16.94

336 Cu Ft 90/10 Argon Co2 mix __________________________ $ 29.64

336 Pure Argon _______________________________________ $ 27.84

Keep in Mind, I work on their building, Installed a crane for them and spend Approximately $ 300.00 to $ 400.00 a month with them for the last 18 of my 26 years of being in business.

Miller Welders
    REASON FORUM THREAD TEMPORARILY DOWN
    This thread was temporarily hidden for moderation due to offensive language in the original post. We do not condone offensive language on the Forums, but also understand the importance of an open conversation around welding topics that include equipment and services. In the future, we ask our members to try and use alternative word choice when discussing issues on the Forums.

Please excuse my ignorance and pin point the offensive words that are in this thread... We are in a welder world not at the royal court of wherever. I only saw stars and how can you describe an offensive behavior from a suplyer woh at the bottom line is really a...(chose your word)...

Well actually I found the statement " if you work at Airgas screw you" somewhat offensive.
    I have a decent local Airgas and those guys are my friends.
    The manager is in the Air Gaurd and did at least one tour in Irac.
    They have beat Indiana oxygen on all my machines. All are helpfull and knowledgable. I really don't think they belong in this category.
    I do realize there are poorly run stores out there. Doesn't mean everyone who works there is jerk. Even if the corporate policies are just plain awful.
    Simply my opinion... YMMV

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

i have dealt with this one individual for approx 30 years, arc source, airgas, he recently quit and took an early retirement. apparantly, there was talk coming down the pike that its time that the little guy finally has to pay what he should of been paying, no more discounted purchases for long time, good and loyal customers. if the little guy buys under ten grand a year, he will be getting a big surprise. this person dissagreed with the morals of the corporate decision, so he quit, he couldnt operate in that manner.. i, personally have done well with airgas, only due to the fact that the people employed are the same people that i have been doing business for the 30 year stint. airgass recently filled a hole in our area with a new outlet. i am kinda screwed though, i am down to only one individual that i have built a relationship with, and he has just been placed on a different route. these big corporate outfits dont really have us by the xxxxx, i just learned of a company that just opened up selling gas as it should be priced, airgass is creating a fix for the small guy, there will be some one there for us to trade with as it used to be, it will just take time. i must also add that the people at airgas that i am not familiar with have been very good, they are in a tough situation

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Well actually I found the statement " if you work at Airgas screw you" somewhat offensive.
    I have a decent local Airgas and those guys are my friends.
    The manager is in the Air Gaurd and did at least one tour in Irac.
    They have beat Indiana oxygen on all my machines. All are helpfull and knowledgable. I really don't think they belong in this category.
    I do realize there are poorly run stores out there. Doesn't mean everyone who works there is jerk. Even if the corporate policies are just plain awful.
    Simply my opinion... YMMV
    +1 on that...

Even though I consider some of their corporate policies odious....

the local staff has always treated me well...

I do believe that those corporate policies have opened the door to more responsive regional suppliers like Haun Welding Supply in our region..

http://www.haunweldingsupply.com/HWS-Home.aspx

these smaller players are growing rapidly and filling in with exceptional service where the huge players are failing in their greedy "take it or leave it attitude"...
    free market forces will determine the outcome...
    people will vote with their wallet and spend their money where they have the best balance of service and price.....

E-commerce will sharpen the contrast between the players and further shave the profit margins..

I have no upset with the local Airgas staff... just some of the corporate policies that I disagree with...
    Last edited by H80N; 05-20-2014 at 06:25 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

I think the world of local employees. It is corporate high level management I have an issue with. I have an issue with a hazmat fee on a paper only transaction. I resent delivery charges, with fuel surcharge for a 3 OZ Radnor item I pick up in their store. An argon tank switch I pick up in store should not cost $112 plus thirty dollars in greed charges. They make excuses, "it pays for tank maintenance". They already charge tank maintenance built into lease fees, the hazmat fees are charged whenever they handle a tank. How does lease renewal expose personnel to hazard?

Airgas has it usages. While I don't buy regular consumables and gasses from them, they have always been competitive with capitol equipment. Especially since my local local local guy won't sell Lincoln equipment. His words,,, "look around, do you see anything red here????" His loss, not mine.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

I wonder if any anti trust laws have been broken or even distorted by Airgas buying up their competitors and creating a monopoly.

So????? take it up with the FTC, if its that important to you.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    So????? take it up with the FTC, if its that important to you.
    Nope, what I prefer to do is take my business elsewhere. Were I near a major city, I could easily do that. In my case, there is one other supplier, they don't carry Miller. There are other things I can't get there. I'm forced to travel 60 miles to go where I'm happy with the way I'm treated.
    I wish Airgas would charge hazmat fees on hazardous materials, not wire brushes, and aluminum TIG rod. I wish their gas prices were average, not predatory. I wish a store brand item I buy off the shelf didn't come with a delivery, and fuel surcharge. I wish I didn't receive a bill, then a few days later, a snotty letter with penalty charges. It seems a $10.00 item was bought early in the month so before I received my bill that invoice passed thirty days.
    When I am buying a welder, and go to an Airgas branch in NH to defer the sales tax much of a year, I don't want a snotty letter from corporate headquarters instructing me to do business with my designated branch.