Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: airgas rant

I finally gave up on airgas when they refused to remove the hazmat fee from a cylinder lease renewal. Maine Oxy is now getting my business.

Air Gas caters to the large corporations, medical fields and other companies who have robots that stamp a PO # on anything that comes across the desk and never even look at what is on the invoice. Little people can play the game or move along. They could really care less. It's just business.

bump

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg340 View Post
    bump
    What Bump????

Air gas is a predator company plain and simple. My advise is never sign any kind of lease without a lawyer looking it over. Don't ask me how I know.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

a bump keeps the topic at the top of the board. I agree with the above!

Default OK, this is what I did . .

I went to Air-Gas and they explained the cylinder leasing to me which included all the hazmat charges & other crap.

Instead I opted to "buy a cylinder" per their description.

I understand that I really don't own the bottle & it has to be filled at Air-Gas.

I think it more as a deposit on a bottle. My LWS was almost 50 miles round trip, so I decided to give them a try.

One time cost of $290.00 for a full tank for my Miller 251 MIG.

They way they explained it is in the future I bring this bottle in, they will give me a full bottle & all I will pay for is the gas.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? If this was
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

I don't object to a haz mat fee if they are handling a hazardous material. Airgas charges me to handle Argon tanks. That's OK, though I'm not too sure what's hazardous about argon. When they send me a bill for a lease renewal, why the hazardous material handling charge? Do the office personnel risk poisoning licking the stamp?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I don't object to a haz mat fee if they are handling a hazardous material. Airgas charges me to handle Argon tanks. That's OK, though I'm not too sure what's hazardous about argon. When they send me a bill for a lease renewal, why the hazardous material handling charge? Do the office personnel risk poisoning licking the stamp?
    Ask an MBA, oops almost typed MBS, it is a New zero cost(to them) revenue stream.---Meltedmetal

Quote Originally Posted by Wacko Welder View Post
    I went to Air-Gas and they explained the cylinder leasing to me which included all the hazmat charges & other crap.

Instead I opted to "buy a cylinder" per their description.

I understand that I really don't own the bottle & it has to be filled at Air-Gas.

I think it more as a deposit on a bottle. My LWS was almost 50 miles round trip, so I decided to give them a try.

One time cost of $290.00 for a full tank for my Miller 251 MIG.

They way they explained it is in the future I bring this bottle in, they will give me a full bottle & all I will pay for is the gas.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? If this was
    Unless the law is different in your neck of the woods, you got hosed. Is their name on the neck ring?

I buy brand new empty bottles with a blank(customer owned) ring. It is in my possession as I trade for a refill at any LWS I feel to frequent, again with no name. As soon as I leave and it is in my possession, I am again the owner. That is the law. But Airgas is lending you the bottle, and no other gas supplier will fill it. No matter what the circumstances Airgas is the owner.

You can buy customer owned bottles empty of filled from HTP/usa weld, and I think they ship free if purchase is over $50. Many outfits around the country will do the same. I think even Harbor Fright does it. Meh.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Default Reason Forum Thread Temporarily Down

This thread was temporarily hidden for moderation due to offensive language in the original post. We do not condone offensive language on the Forums, but also understand the importance of an open conversation around welding topics that include equipment and services. In the future, we ask our members to try and use alternative word choice when discussing issues on the Forums.