Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default trailblazer 325 problem fix or not?

so, i read that lots of peoples had lots of problems with their 325 blazer!

is those issues now fixed?
    i mean if i go buy new machine , will i end up fixing welders or broken metals..loll

I think all the problems have been looked at and fixed, minus some winter time cold weather issues, ie, freezing of the automatic tank vent and throttle encoder. A full cover is mandatory, and I've sold many to prevent this.

I'm still not to fond of these especially for hot summer time issues. Engines need cold dense air to operate, however this system uses the intake from the flywheel fan to draw air in. This air comes from the front where already warm air is drawn in, and first has to cool the rectifier, and other components BEFORE it hits the engine.

So already hot air has to cool the engines fins and super hot air is going into the engine intake. The EFI doesn't quite compensate for this already super heated air. Thats not to say it doesn't work. The idea is valid, I just don't like the idea.

If there was a way to plug the EFI intake ports off the flywheel, and have that air forced directly over the engine fins, that would be great. Also have the intake say draw air from the back side of the case, that would be better for longevity of the engine. Just isn't alot of room in there. Almost need a hood scoop maybe

Theres been over 8000 views to this thread and only one response. Now that were two years later Id like to see what cruizer and anyone else has to say regarding any of these problems that have been discussed on the trailblazer 325 and 275.

Cruzer, you said that the heat problems have been solved for the most part. What has miller done to address these issues if the design of the air intake hasnt changed??
    Any mods one should do, like add a 12 computer fan somewhere? Or is that not neccessary?

Im in the market for a engine drive in the next few months and id like to buy the 325. Anything one should know first?
    Dynasty 200dx 2014
    Optrel 684. 2014

Also, any problems regarding the bobcat 250 or is it a solid design? Is the air intake different than the trailblazer.
    Most say that the trailblazer is the way to go vs the bobcat. But any reason to go bobcat besides ac capability?
    Dynasty 200dx 2014
    Optrel 684. 2014

Default Bobcat 250

I've been running a 2013 Bobcat 250 for two years now and have zero problems closing in on 500 hours in the furnace of South Texas.

As Cruizer states, you have to keep it's run speed set at 62.5Hz or else a lohy puddle is too liquid with too much undercut. Properly tuned I regularly practice 6G open root pipe per ASME IX with it. It has a sloper volt/amp curve and actually more predictably responsive to electrode manipulation than an inverter arc with Dig control IMHO.

However, it is more ripply or cruder than an inverter arc probably owing to its rectified single phase AC current. This presents as a little more spatter and harder to butter 7018, and slag not easily clearing the puddle on 6010. It's less forgiving of poor electrode manipulation than a higher-quality inverter arc which the Trailblazer provides.

If you're going to do tested, code-quality pipe or plate welds, then I would bypass the 3600 rpm gassers for a proven 1800 rpm diesel machine, inverter or pure DC.
    Dynasty 350
    Bobcat 250
    Maxstar 150S
    Titanium 9400
    Purox O/A
    Cutmaster 42

Quote Originally Posted by Danarc View Post
    I've been running a 2013 Bobcat 250 for two years now and have zero problems closing in on 500 hours in the furnace of South Texas.

As Cruizer states, you have to keep it's run speed set at 62.5Hz or else a lohy puddle is too liquid with too much undercut. Properly tuned I regularly practice 6G open root pipe per ASME IX with it. It has a sloper volt/amp curve and actually more predictably responsive to electrode manipulation than an inverter arc with Dig control IMHO.

However, it is more ripply or cruder than an inverter arc probably owing to its rectified single phase AC current. This presents as a little more spatter and harder to butter 7018, and slag not easily clearing the puddle on 6010. It's less forgiving of poor electrode manipulation than a higher-quality inverter arc which the Trailblazer provides.

If you're going to do tested, code-quality pipe or plate welds, then I would bypass the 3600 rpm gassers for a proven 1800 rpm diesel machine, inverter or pure DC.
    Thanks for your insight on the bobcat 250. No code pipe work for me but i do like the fact the trailblazer has a separate generator for power as opposed to the bobcat. U know if the bobcat was just as quiet as the trailblazer 325 is (havent heard either in person but specs say 325 is 10 decibles quieter) then id prob decide on the bobcat. Why did u decide to go bobcat 250 instead of the trailblazer?
    Dynasty 200dx 2014
    Optrel 684. 2014

Why did u decide to go bobcat 250 instead of the trailblazer?

I needed a reliable machine for non-code pipe; the Bobcat can switch polarity with the turn of a knob which is great for thin pipe root passes or change to an AC arc on magnetized oilfield pipe. This flexibility is important to a weldor, it saves time and frustration. Seriously, am I going to lead-wrap every joint in a quarter mile of pipe fence to counteract arc blow? Am I good enough to butt weld 5G 2" Sch40 (.154" thick) with 6010 electrode positive? Honestly, I'm not that patient or good a stick weldor.

The Bobcat is simple, doesn't overheat, I can get maintenance parts at NAPA and of course it's a Miller product which comes with excellent customer service. It was (and is) less expensive than a Trailblazer with Excel. It will run wire feeders and a Dynasty 200 if needed. It is an excellent 9500 watt single-phase generator. My two biggest complaints are arc-quality and lack of a remote, both of which are acceptable trade-offs.

IIRC, 2013 was the first year Miller reversed the engine/alternator orientation to make the units more compact. This and other engineering factors lead to overheating problems of some units that year. No way was I buying a tool that would cause more problems. It was probably the main reason for choosing the Bobcat over that year's Trailblazer.

Dynasty 350
    Bobcat 250
    Maxstar 150S
    Titanium 9400
    Purox O/A
    Cutmaster 42

Thanks for sharing your reason for going bobcat 250. U had some points iv not heard before regarding its difference with the trailblazer.

As far as the overheating issue. Maybe il call miller and ask how they addressed this problem because as far as i can tell they sill have the engine in the same place it was in back in the first year the new design came out.

And im not trying to call cruizer out or anything like that. But i am wondering why i havent seem to found anyone else with these overheating issues posted on any of these welding forums. Iv searched and this is all iv come up with is this thread. Maybe this was just a small problem in the begginning of the design change and miller quickly solved the issue??
    Dynasty 200dx 2014
    Optrel 684. 2014

It's just a heat issue with thewe systems, the air to the engine is just less dense and super hot BEFORE it enters the engine as air must cool down several components before it enters the intake. True you may not see it as few repair shops report it. The customer may not even know, as all these are warranty issues.

i eliminate the foam air filter filter. Cut the high pressure pump vent line, as the tank vent line, and plug the line going into the Venturi. This helps somewhat as well. Engine runs a lot better after doing this. And no it does not effect your warranty