Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: spoolmate 100

Default spoolmate 100

I'm looking to get the spoolmate 100 (I got my 211 before the spoolmate deal). I'm in the automotive repair field (day job) and would like to get the spoolmate 100 for my 211 for using it for alum. and silca bronze. The auto manuf. are starting to require those welds instead of just steel mig for attaching welded panels. I had asked the Tech.'s at Miller and they said that it could easly do both types of wire on those panels (quarters, truck bed sides, rockers etc). The metal in these vehicles (as I'm sure you all know) is thin.

Before I invest in the spool gun, gas bottle and wire to get a handle on welding that material, can the gun do it? I read in another thread that it can only go down to 16ga, I haven't measured the metal to know what it is but I'm pretty sure it isn't that heavy. Some cars are pretty thin maybe 20-24ga. I don't want to waste my money on something that I can't use. I have no need for it other then that, everything I work on at home is steel. I may get one for home just in case but this is the primary reason I'm looking into one now.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Hypertherm 45 with the Hyaccess tip kit and will add the spoolgun to the order if it will work for my current needs (vehicle panel replacement).

Cool

I have welded sil bronze for years and just used my regular gun as it is less awkward than using my spool gun but i am sure it can be used. Most body metal i have done measured .024 thick and the silcone bronze did it with ease...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I have a 3035 gun for sale if you are interested. 16 gauge steel is no problem, but 16 gauge aluminum, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    I have a 3035 gun for sale if you are interested. 16 gauge steel is no problem, but 16 gauge aluminum, I don't know.
    Is it a plug and play with my 211? If so PM me some info. I need it to be able to do lighter ga. metal like what is on vehicles as this will be it's main purpose.

I have just been told by another member that this gun is no longer for sale, as he is coming to the shop over the weekend.
    Mine has the lug instead of the miller mig gun back end, but otherwise the same gun.

Thank you for the offer anyhow. Glad ya got it sold.

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I have welded sil bronze for years and just used my regular gun as it is less awkward than using my spool gun but i am sure it can be used. Most body metal i have done measured .024 thick and the silcone bronze did it with ease...Bob
    Hey Bob! Great info on the conversion. I didn't have a lathe, so I did it with a hand drill. I have a set of index bits for my drill. I just found one the would fit down the bore of my Spoolmate 100. Then I went to the next size up. Took it out a little at a time. I never got the shavings like you get when you drill-just some dust!

Took about 30 minutes start to finish-and didn't have to dissemble the gun. I just took it slow and careful. I didn't have any M15 tips, so I used the tips for my MM211. I haven't fried a tip since!
    Thanks! Great info!! Had the Spoolmate for 4 years and never used it. Then fried 10 of the tips in about 30 minutes! Your conversion saved me throwing it in the scrap pile!