Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default miller diesel shutting down?

I really appreciate your help with this problem. I'm out of town right now, Friday I will do some more trouble shooting with the information you have given me. I'll let you know what I find out. Again thank you for you help.

J.D.

Well I got back in town, checked the murpy switch (shutdown switch). I believe it is working when I press the button the electric fuel pump comes on and I get 12 volts at the solenoid to the fuel injection pump. What I'm not sure of is if the fuel injection pump is working? Not sure how to check that. Also the engine starts now and shuts down immediately instead of running 5 seconds as before? Any suggestions?

Default Easy....

Quote Originally Posted by jdhartin View Post
    Well I got back in town, checked the murpy switch (shutdown switch). I believe it is working when I press the button the electric fuel pump comes on and I get 12 volts at the solenoid to the fuel injection pump. What I'm not sure of is if the fuel injection pump is working? Not sure how to check that. Also the engine starts now and shuts down immediately instead of running 5 seconds as before? Any suggestions?

Do what cruiser said, do not assume, verify that there is 12 volts at the fuel solenoid, with the solenoid connected, if you have voltage remove the solenoid, apply voltage to the solenoid, the solenoid plunger should suck in(will have to ground solenoid to get it to do it). If it does not go in its bad, also with the solenoid removed the engine should start, but u will need to screw the solenoid in to kill it. If that fails the rack is stuck in the pump. If the rack is stuck take it in, it's easy to fix, but also very easy to screw up.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Default Miller diesel shutting down?

I'll try that tomorrow, thanks!

Does it have a continental Diesel engine? I had a similar problem with my trailblazer 55d. I had to take off the injector pump and have it rebuilt. Fixed the problem right away

Quote Originally Posted by mccahilldozing View Post
    Does it have a continental Diesel engine? I had a similar problem with my trailblazer 55d. I had to take off the injector pump and have it rebuilt. Fixed the problem right away

Not quite the same as the unit is starting for 5 seconds, it all relates to the Murfy switch which is fizzled. Yours was likely do to you or someone else loosening off the check valves at the injector pump which is a no, no, on all injector pumps.

Lightbulb Would not run

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Not quite the same as the unit is starting for 5 seconds, it all relates to the Murfy switch which is fizzled. Yours was likely do to you or someone else loosening off the check valves at the injector pump which is a no, no, on all injector pumps.
    If the relief valve was removed and not assembled correctly, unit would fail to run at all, injection pump has to make a certain psi before injectors will open. I do agree the fuel pump is not receiving 12 volts from the Murphy system. Also since now it's not starting at all I would first bleed the fuel system, confirm the pump has good fuel flow, then troubleshoot, older diesels are the easiest to troubleshoot. Crank the engine watch the smoke stacks, no smoke =no fuel. Smoke means wrong timing or poor glow plugs, if your cranking it and getting smoke your fueling.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25

Default Miller diesel won't start?

Ok guys here's the latest, but first let me thank you guys for your help and suggestions. I checked the murpy and think it's ok. The fuel injection solenoid is getting 12 volts from it and the other 2 wires connected to the murpy are also showing 12 volts. One wire is the gage/switch wire and the other one is labeled coil wire. Also I remove the solenoid from the injection pump and it is sucking the plunger in when the switch is energized, Once I re-installed the solenoid it started up the first time but was barely running, also like it was idled so low it couldn't get enough fuel. Now it's back to not starting at all, but is really close to starting. There is also white smoke coming out of the exhaust stack when trying to crank the engine. The fuel pump is definitely pumping as I can feel it and it is running and I loosened the fuel line at the filter before the injector pump and it was pressurized. Cruizer no one has fooled with the check valves on the injection pump and Tryagn5 how do I bleed the fuel system and check the injector pump to see if it is working properly?

Default Bleed injection pump

At the injection pump you will see the lines which run from the pump to the injectors, the injectors are mounted in the head, cracked the lines at the injectors, crank the engine at fuel speed you might have to wire open the throttle, I'm thinking u might have a stuck governor in the injection pump, basically it is stuck in the fuel off position or slightly near it. If you are not getting fuel spitting from the loosen injectors lines this is the case, and the pump will need to come out. Also if you are getting white smoke it would seem you are getting fuel, does this engine have glow plugs, be sure they work, little diesels rely on the glow plugs for starting, also post a picture of the injection pump, will be able to walk you through removing it.
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25

Default Miller diesel will not start?

Sorry so long getting back to you guys who have been so helpful, but I have a wife, need I say anything else. Today I cracked the fitting at the injector and tried starting the engine. I'm getting fuel at the injectors, a small stream running down the engine when I cracked the fitting slightly. I videoed trying to start the engine but I'm having problems uploading it, along with pictures of the fuel injector pump. As soon as I can get it uploaded I will post them, maybe that will help you guys in trouble shooting this problem. I appreciate all you guys comments and help. Thanks!