Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default miller diesel shutting down?

I have a Miller Big 40 diesel welder, I believe it is a 1986. I have had it for 10 years with no problems to speak of. Recently I started it up as I do at least once a month to let it run, it ran for about 10 minutes and shutoff. I restarted it and it runs about 5 seconds and shuts off? It will crank right back up, but shuts down after about 5 seconds. I checked the fuel pump and it is working correctly. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong. I'm leaning toward a bad low oil pressure switch. Thanks for any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhartin View Post
    I have a Miller Big 40 diesel welder, I believe it is a 1986. I have had it for 10 years with no problems to speak of. Recently I started it up as I do at least once a month to let it run, it ran for about 10 minutes and shutoff. I restarted it and it runs about 5 seconds and shuts off? It will crank right back up, but shuts down after about 5 seconds. I checked the fuel pump and it is working correctly. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong. I'm leaning toward a bad low oil pressure switch. Thanks for any suggestions.
    3 things shut it down,

lack of fuel
    low oil pressure, c
    coolant temp too high

check the gages, most have another little adjustable ground needle inside of them. when the check needle happens to hit it. the Murfy shuts the engine down

Plugged secondary fuel filter. It's located just under the fuel tank. Just take the paper filter out and run it and see if that fixes it.

Default Miller big 40 diesel shutting down.

Quote Originally Posted by 1997CST View Post
    Plugged secondary fuel filter. It's located just under the fuel tank. Just take the paper filter out and run it and see if that fixes it.
    Determined that fuel is the problem, checked secondary fuel filter doesn't have one under fuel tank. Replaced screw on type fuel filter and electric fuel pump. Still shutting down, by passed oil pressure switch and temp switch to see if that was the problem. Still shutting down, something is stopping the fuel flow after engine runs for maybe 5 seconds?

Fuel soilinoid on the side of the injection pump. likely, either not getting the 12 volts to open it or may be defective. Murfy switch fuse ok?

Default Miller Big 40 diesel shutting down

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Fuel soilinoid on the side of the injection pump. likely, either not getting the 12 volts to open it or may be defective. Murfy switch fuse ok?
    The fuel pump is tied into the wire going to the solenoid on the injection pump and it is running when the switch is on and continues to run until the pressure is up to cut off pressure. S I assume the solenoid is getting power. I replaced a 14 amp fuse on the behind the control panel that was blown, but it's still doing the same thing. Last time I sprayed starting fluid in the air in take when it tried to shutdown and it continued to run, so apparently something is shutting down the fuel?

Well, if that fuse is blown , the likelyhood of the murfy being blown is pretty good, , now if you remove the solinoid. The unit should keep on running, or put 12Vdc to the solinoid, the unit should keep on running till you removed that 12 Vdc signal.

Default Miller big 40 diesel shutting down

OK, are saying remove the injection pump solenoid and the fuel pump should continue running? Not sure I understand. Also what is the murfy? I pretty mechanical inclined I retired from a Chemical Plant and work as a Maintenance. Mechanic there. But I'm not familiar with a diesel welder other than welding with it. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhartin View Post
    OK, are saying remove the injection pump solenoid and the fuel pump should continue running? Not sure I understand. Also what is the murfy? I pretty mechanical inclined I retired from a Chemical Plant and work as a Maintenance. Mechanic there. But I'm not familiar with a diesel welder other than welding with it. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.
    There is only a plunger behind the shutown solinoid so if you remove it nothing is going to fall out. First though I'd try putting positive battery voltage to it, to see if it is working.

That fuse you replaced on the block behind the panel is the "Murfy" switch. It tells the engine that you have oil pressure and if the coolant temp is ok. Being that the fuse had failed, the likelyhood of that assembly being pooched is pretty good. If its not working then the engine will start and stop shortly after.

The 5 seconds your getting is the time allowance for the unit to sense oil pressure