Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The machine doesn't know what size wire is loaded into it, so that wont make the smooth start feature change any preset preferences. Likely your settings are just not as dialed with .023 as they are with the heavier wires (which I assume you have ran more of based on your posts). The only way the machine "knows" .023 is in it is if you are running auto set. Sorry for questioning your mig experience, just based on what your symptoms were was leading me to think the operator may be the culprit. I am now wondering if your wfs is just out of the "operating window" low? Have you tried really stepping up the wire speed? Meaning, screw the door chart, try something comical and see how it runs? Just throwing out ideas.

Also, your saying you are going to look into a machine with no run in, I don't think this is your problem as many have posted here with great results with the small millermatics that have smooth start. It leads me to think settings, consumables, faulty machinery, or something of this nature. I think you would be throwing the 180 out with out properly diagnosing the issue. Good luck with solving the issues.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 05-19-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Cgotto said "The machine doesn't know what size wire is loaded into it", that's exactly the point I am trying to make. Regardless of wire size the machine is going to push the same measurement of wire out when you initially pull the trigger, so it seems to me if your running .035 you get more filler material that if running .023 and vice versa. Does that make sense? Anyway I have posted a video to you tube that may explain my issues better that I can put in writing. Again I have this issue only with the MM180 autoset and not with my DVI or Lincoln 125. With those two machines I can jump from weld to weld nonstop and no need for fine adjustment. I know some will think this is petty but this is what I do for a living, time is money, and I don't have time to adjust my machine back and forth all day. In conclusion, the mm180 autoset is a fine machine, it welds just fine in many applications but just not this one particular application that I do most frequently.

http://youtu.be/o8A0oDtFBL8
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

I always assumed the run in was based on an equation that uses the set wfs as a factor. So with .023 you nullify the variance of wire diameter by running a higher wfs to maintain correct metal deposition rate. Is this not true? If it's not, seems like a really stupid feature to not compensate for various wire diameters.

I totally understand the frustration and desire to have a happy medium set up for all the welds you are producing to increase production.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 05-20-2014 at 03:05 PM.

The "smooth start" feature definitely has its advantages, just not for me in the shop making short stitch welds. I am however going to keep the 180 as my main "in the field" welder. I should get my new Hobart machine by Friday and if it works the way I hope it does (no smooth start) I am going to mount on a swing arm over my welding table (I've always wanted one like that) during the memorial weekend.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Quote Originally Posted by metalpuddler View Post
    The "smooth start" feature definitely has its advantages, just not for me in the shop making short stitch welds. I am however going to keep the 180 as my main "in the field" welder. I should get my new Hobart machine by Friday and if it works the way I hope it does (no smooth start) I am going to mount on a swing arm over my welding table (I've always wanted one like that) during the memorial weekend.
    Darn, I was going to reply yesterday evening that the PowerMIG 180C may be the better option for you over the Hobart. Don't get me wrong, the Handler 190 and 210 MVP ( I currently own a 210 MVP) are both very good units. They most definitely don't have the run-in issue that you are experiencing with your MM 180. Anyway, I was thinking the PM 180C might be a better option because of it's wire drive. I haven't tried it on my 180C, but I suspect the drive wouldn't have an issue with a 12' gun lead. On the Handler units, Hobart isn't going to recommend using any longer than a 10' gun lead. The power pin end on the Hobart is different than a Miller. It's difficult to find a gun lead longer than 10' that fits the Hobart unit. You might be able to get a longer gun lead for a Handler through HTP America.

You have the DVI 2 so I'm guessing the fact that the Handler is a tapped voltage unit, and PM 180c is a variable voltage unit is not a major concern.