Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Default Sheet metal brake

As the song goes; "A long long time ago........", I built a sheet metal brake. It works fine, but I can't bend four corners of a box. I want to start over or modify, changing to high clearance and removable fingers or some other way i can fold a box with 10" high sides from 16 gauge aluminum. I now bend two sides, and add two ends. While I love welding time, distortion is a concern.
    Has anybody got a good design?

found this one, haven't made it yet. Will do 16 gauge full width (approx. 24 inches)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/ma...rs-home-45792/

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Mine (homemade) does 7' 3". At first I thought your link wouldn't help me, then I thought; I have a massive press, most boxes and pans are rectangles, why not a set of dies for the press to do the shorter sides?
    Thanks, you planted the seed for thought.

good luck. post some pics when you're done, if you can.

Willie, I have the HF 20 ton press with an air/hydraulic jack, been considering this

http://www.swagoffroad.com/20-TON-Fi...-Kit_p_86.html

Might be some ideas to "borrow" there... Steve

Try this thread where I did something similar

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...nute-Syrup-Pan