Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Removing Rusty Ball Mount from Receiver of Trailer Hitch

My customer had trouble removing the rusty ball mount from the receiver of his hitch so that he could install a rear plow on the hitch of his snow plow truck. He currently has 55 costumers so the rear hitch will help to pull the snow from the driveways. It turns out that rust has a greater volume than steel so the ball mount was now a tight press fit in the receiver. To remove the ball mount I Mig welded a 1-3/8" bar to the bottom of the ball mount so that my customer could beat on it with a sledge hammer while I heated it with the oxyacetylene torch. It was so tight that all of this persuasion was necessary to remove it.

Don
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Don52; 01-03-2015 at 07:21 AM.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma Torch

I have done similar a few times, it's a *****. It doesn't take long for it to happen either (at least in a northern state that uses salt).
    But the times I have done this it was a waste of time. The receiver tube had rusted so bad that it was so thin, I told them to get a whole new hitch. Told them I wouldn't use it to tow anything. Did they I don't know, I hope they did.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtow30t View Post
    I have done similar a few times, it's a *****. It doesn't take long for it to happen either (at least in a northern state that uses salt).
    But the times I have done this it was a waste of time. The receiver tube had rusted so bad that it was so thin, I told them to get a whole new hitch. Told them I wouldn't use it to tow anything. Did they I don't know, I hope they did.
    Well I hope that there is enough wall thickness left on the receiver tube that it will hold up. It is a bolt on hitch so it is relatively easy to replace if necessary.

USMCPOP on the Weld Talk forum suggested using a product called "Fluid Film" on the square shaft of the ball mount and the receiver socket before installation to reduce corrosion. I checked out the following link and it sounds like good stuff. It is specified by John Deere for use on their equipment and it is available from Auto Zone and O'Reilly's as well as many other industrial supply companies. Although I had never heard about it before USMCPOP's suggestion, I plan on picking up a can or two to try it out.

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Don

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma Torch

Fluid Film is lanolin-based (wool wax or wool grease). I have yet to see a rusty sheep.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974)
    Syncrowave 250 (1992)
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)