Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Designing gate. what gauge

Hi all,

So I am designing a gate for a commercial property. I weld, but not commercially so thought i would post up a few questions.

Gate is for a trash enclosure surrounded by CMU walls. Gate to span 12'-5". Looking to do two doors (so about 6' each), with posts to be welded to steel plate that will be bolted into concrete slab. There is real estate under slab so can only anchor into it. Gates and posts need to be fairly heavy gauge since dumpsters will be hauled in and out and will bang against gate over time. Gate will most likely be steel with wood mounted vertically.

What gauge would you recommend for posts, plate, and main members on gate? Are there any heavy duty hinges to consider?

Weld on, grease able, bullet hinges, or other varieties are crazy strong. Nobody can tell you anything based on the info provided. Nobody knows how much weight it will be or any of the design. Best bet is to be too strong....

Quote Originally Posted by H2o:330121
    Hi all,

So I am designing a gate for a commercial property. I weld, but not commerciallyl so thought i would post up a few questions.

Gate is for a trash enclosure surrounded by CMU walls. Gate to span 12'-5". Looking to do two doors (so about 6' each), with posts to be welded to steel plate that will be bolted into concrete slab. There is real estate under slab so can only anchor into it. Gates and posts need to be fairly heavy gauge since dumpsters will be hauled in and out and will bang against gate over time. Gate will most likely be steel with wood mounted vertically.

What gauge would you recommend for posts, plate, and main members on gate? Are there any heavy duty hinges to consider?
    1/4" floor plates. 3/16"x3x3 square post. 3/16" frame members on gate. add gussets on corners or a cable tensioner. & Weld on bullet hinges.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

thanks. Super helpful. I will put these down as minimums, but GC/steel fabricator to confirm. I don't have time to design everything and wanted to leave it up to contractor. I am really concerned about them going too light on gauge.

i am asking for submittals so we can tweak then.

Just go with what is down the street. Almost all major stores/fast food/strip malls have trash enclosures. It is always way easier to build something that is already there.