Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Default Trailblazer and Bobcat 250 What's the difference?

Today at the mill it was much like a bee hive. Maybe thirty people involved in replacing the grinding/drying system. Howard the fabricator had his new Trailblazer 400' away at the shop. Too much traffic jam to move it so we shared my Bobcat 250. He talks of features on the Trailblazer that'll spoil you. Ive never used his Trailblazer. He says it's hard to stick 7018, I could live with that. Lets say his 7018 vertical and overhead welds look better than mine, but about the same with either machine.
    What's the difference in features, I know about the 14 pin connector, and digital read out, but what sets them apart really. I'm sort of a ***** for great tools, especially welders.

I believe one of the features of the Trail Blazer over the BC, is the AC generator is seperate from the welding generator on a common shaft. This way, whatever AC current is being used off of it during welding(like someone using a grinder while another is welding) does not affect the weld output, since they are coming from different sources inside the machine. If you were to be just straight stick welding only from either machine, I don't see where there would be much if any difference between the two. But I have never used a TB so I can't say for sure on that.
    Try welding a few beads with his machine and then a few with yours to see if you can detect any discernable differences with the weld output.

Things are too crazy this week, 9 day shut down to replace equipment. This is a single stream mill. Each ounce of pine pellets passes through each machine. I'm in awe at how many machines are required to grind up a tree, dry it out, and squirt this hot gooey mess through thousands of little holes, break them off, cool them, remove dust, and bag, palatalize, then stockpile. The system always has a bottleneck limiting production. Maybe it won't be as busy next week.

Whatever happened to cut. split and stack your firewood then let it season ?

I tell them it is possible to burn wood with less processing. They don't see the humor. It does make it possible for those convenience seeking environmentalist types to feel they are being "green". I don't think they factor how much energy is used to process.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I tell them it is possible to burn wood with less processing. They don't see the humor. It does make it possible for those convenience seeking environmentalist types to feel they are being "green". I don't think they factor how much energy is used to process.
    Exactly. They think these pellet sacks are just harvested from under the wood pellet trees for their use. Kind of like gathering pecans, except for a "wood" burning stove.

New info today, No AC welding on a trailblazer.

No AC weld output on the new TB. Older versions had it and it's a shame Miller did away with it on the latest model almost eliminating aluminum TIG and preventing using AC stick to combat severe cases of arc blow. The thing is, the machine produces AC which is then rectified to DC so it's already there as it was when the TB had it. Not sure why Miller left it out of the latest version.

Weld output is also 3 phase as apposed to the Bobcat's single phase which makes for a smoother although not exactly like a pure DC (i.e. SA200) output arc.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Duane,

As a kid, then into my teens, my father's friend had a Westinghouse DC monster with Chrysler 236 Industrial flat head. As I got a bit older, and so did he, I tried to buy it a few times. He moved away, leaving it behind his old barn. One day he called to say he didn't have long to live. If I still wanted it, I was welcome to it. In the early days I had nothing to compare it to. Later I realized how sweet a welder it really was. By the time I got it it was stuck, I removed the crank and beat the pistons out with a block of wood, honed it, new rings, bearings, and gaskets. It roared to life. It worked out to high frequency DC though it's gone and I don't remember how high.I've seen the multi hump sine wave of three phase DC, How does the frequent hump sine wave of a single phase DC generator compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    Exactly. They think these pellet sacks are just harvested from under the wood pellet trees for their use. Kind of like gathering pecans, except for a "wood" burning stove.
    I thought they grew underground like peanuts?