Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New to tig, Help me repair my boat!

Hi everyone this is my first post. I am also new to tig welding, so please have patience with me.

I damaged my boat about 3 weeks ago, and just bought a miller diversion 165 to repair it. I got a deal on the welder. It's 3 years old and was only used a couple times so it's like new. Came with cart, cover, manuals, gauges, bottle of argon, pack of 2% thoriated tungstens, and a mix of ss, alum, and steel rods. I paid $1000 for all.

I ordered a northern tool auto dark hood, tig finger, and 50' 8/3 50amp extension cord, and am waiting for them to arrive so I can start practicing. I am going to post pictures of the boat and damage, and I hope some pros will help guide me on how best to repair it. Maybe this thread will help some new folks like me learn to tig weld as I plan to post pics and updates along the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile

Here is a good place to start..

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/gtawbook.pdf

Aluminum videos..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FadO...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ay_oYg0LUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTZfDndPkl0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpxzVq6YsoM

other TIG resources..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ur-skills/tig/

AND... Practice... Practice... Practice....

do not try to learn on your boat... or you will be sorry...
    (if the welds look like crap on your practice pieces... you can be assured that they will look twice as bad on our boat..)

practice and build your skill level till you can build a TIG bead that you are proud to look at... THEN... go after the boat...
    Boats tend to be riveted from VERY thin sheet.... so you REALLY need to get your skill level up there before you tackle it..

Most marine aluminum boats are 5000 series aluminum... (like 5052)...

So chose a compatible filler like 4943...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...m-which-filler

pls post BOAT pics..
    Last edited by H80N; 08-27-2014 at 09:48 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default Boat pics

Here are some pics of the boat. It is a '99 Legend SS, .100 welded hull, 17x52. Engine is a 2003 115/80 Johnson Jet. H80N thanks for the information. I was wondering what type of aluminum the hull was made of. I was thinking 4043 filler, but will read up on 4943. This is all theory to me at this point. I am still waiting on stuff to arrive to start practice welding. I did manage to get the motor and all the rest of the interior out of the boat today. I will post some pics of the damage this evening if I can.
    Last edited by cw021382; 08-27-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Default Pics: removing motor and interior

Here are some pics of work done today.

Thumbs up

on the tungsten....

give the Thoriated to somebody with a transformer machine...

you want to get some Lanthanated or Ceriated tung for your Diversion...

it is an inverter

This tungsten guidebook should be helpful...

http://www.diamondground.com/TungstenGuidebook2013.pdf

and why you do not want Thoriated...

http://www.diamondground.com/wp-cont...iveWarning.pdf

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

How about a few higher rez closeups of the damage....??

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Default Boat damage pics

Does anyone know if there is a better way to post pics? I use my iphone, and email them using small option (30-40kb) to my computer. This makes the pics small and hard to see when I post them.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Default More damage pics

Here are some more pics of the damage. H80N how can I upload hi rez photos? Here is a breakdown of the damage. 3 large dents on strakes. 1 half dollar size hole on flat. Transom now has a hook to it, and some cracking at the weld to the bottom. Transom also has a small wave to it. Center strake has a lot of small cracks running across it. All the damage is to the back half of the boat. Only one question for now. How do you repair a cracked weld like on the ribs? Do you have to grind away the old weld or do you clean and weld over it? Thanks guys, I am glad I found this forum.

Default tungsten

H80N thanks for the advise about not using the thoriated tungsten. I had read that ceriated is what miller recommends for the 165. Not sure exactly what type I will end up using. I am still learning about the different types.