Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default welder generator gas vs diesel

+1 on trailblazer

but if you absolutely need a 14 pin receptacle on the bobcat its doable !
    if dont know how ..google it and they explain it very good how to do it

I like my 302 TRAILBLAZER ! Check Craigs list, there have been a few in my area for sale since the 325 hit the market. Just depends on your location.

Iam in upstate NY, I have found a few 225 but their asking a lot for them! Iam keeping my eyes open to find a good deal on one!

I mention some options due tocost and I find most field work for a small operator is 1/8 repairs but if I had to do it again for general maintenance work would consider a genset and a Maxstar 150. If we are doing dozer and excavator work this wont cut it but if you are in the fixing business it would work just dandy at about half the purchase price and about 20% of the operating cost as well as cheaper lead/cords.
    Last edited by Sberry; 04-16-2014 at 04:31 PM.

A Maxstar has the advantage that if you have AC power, you would not need to run the genset at all. A dual voltage welder is the choice for field use.

The Maxstar manual does not say how large a generator would be needed. I will let others comment on why that would or would not be a good idea. I do think that a Bobcat or Trailblazer would present a more professional image.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I mention some options due tocost and I find most field work for a small operator is 1/8 repairs but if I had to do it again for general maintenance work would consider a genset and a Maxstar 150. If we are doing dozer and excavator work this wont cut it but if you are in the fixing business it would work just dandy at about half the purchase price and about 20% of the operating cost as well as cheaper lead/cords.

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    +1 on the Trailblazer...

a Bobcat is OK if you plan stick only...

But if you plan on expanding your capabilities to TIG.. Spoolgun...or.. Suitcase feeder MIG at a later date... the Trailblazer is a better choice..... that 14 pin control connector is REALLY useful..
    It makes that expasion pretty easy..

I run a wirefeeder off my 250 bobcat regularly I also run my spoolgun when doing aluminum work. I don't understand why you say a bobcat is for stick only. as for tig I went to the local miller welding shop and they said I should be able to run a tig setup off the bobcat with no problem.

I do agree with everyone about the trail blazer .if you have the money to buy one I would get it but if your a little short on cash the bobcat will do just fine.