Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default welder generator gas vs diesel

iam looking at getting a generator cause iam getting work that's in the field an they don't like it to much cause they need to bring shop so I can weld it! I plan on buying a miller welder/generator that's not to small, something like that a can weld using a stick or mig an tig later on! I do a lot of work in the agriculture field so iam welding a lot of thick metal or thinner metal! I plan on doing a loan so I can get a newer machine! so I need some advise from you guys on what you like or prefer! thanks alot

Depends on how many hrs/week you plan on use!
    I have a bobcat 250 and love it but for me it fills my need!
    when I was welding pipe it just didn't fit the need and a big blue filled the need with diesel and liquid cooling 8-12hrs +/day!
    But twice the price,

Take a look at this link.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/millernew...dergenerators/

It should help you get a better idea of what you will need. One of the Trailblazer or Bob Cat models will do you good on most anything you need to take care of on farm equipment. Plenty of power to run other electrical power tools also.

I been asking around an a lot of guys got the bobcat 225 or 250 an say I should get the 225 cause the cost an I don't need the extra power! in my option I would rather spend the money an get the 250, I would prolly have about 20-30 hrs in the field with it running to start out since I haven't done on site welding! I do plan on doing a suitcase welder setup with flux an solid wire! I only need the generator for my grinders an lights an a few other tools! I already have a portable gas/compressor! is there much of a difference between the 225 an 250? I rather be happy with it for awhile than grow out of it in 2 years!

There is some difference between fabricating repairing and welding which can be a small portion of the time. Personally I would skip the feeders to start with unless production was biting me in the azz. Most guys that do good field work have very good stick skills and its difficult to buy equipment to overcome a shortcoming there.
    The difference sticks out like a sore thumb, I am sure others here will say the same, hoiw many times they heard,,, that looks way better than the "last guy" that did it,,, which is often a reason we are doing it again,,, both for welding reasons and design type issues. Lots of vertical and overhead in some real dandy spots.
    Last edited by Sberry; 04-15-2014 at 08:07 AM.

iam pretty handy with stick welding! still need to work on my over head! fabrication iam mostly likely going to keep at the shop cause I have all my tools for that already there! but I like to have a good machine for repair in the field or were power is not close by!

I was in your spot a few years back. started getting lots of road jobs but didn't have any road equipment for a month or two I just rented a machine and charged it off to the job.towing the machine started getting to be a pain so I went out and bought a bobcat250.soon after that I bought a thremadyne suitcase to run off it .stick is nice if your not in any hurry but you just can't beat the wirefeeder. the only thing about the wirefeeder is you have to pack a few tarps and rope to block wind. I do a few fam equipment jobs a year and everyone I went on they was in a bind and needed the equipment back running as soon as possible. I give them a price for sticking it and a price for using the wire feeder they always pick the feeder. I would suggest to go with the 250 and just add on to it as needed. on small jobs I sometimes run my 115 volt mig box off the machine instead of the bigger suitcase.never regretted buying the 250 for sure.

+1 on trailblazer

but if you absolutely need a 14 pin receptacle on the bobcat its doable !
    if dont know how ..google it and they explain it very good how to do it

I mention some options due tocost and I find most field work for a small operator is 1/8 repairs but if I had to do it again for general maintenance work would consider a genset and a Maxstar 150. If we are doing dozer and excavator work this wont cut it but if you are in the fixing business it would work just dandy at about half the purchase price and about 20% of the operating cost as well as cheaper lead/cords.
    Last edited by Sberry; 04-16-2014 at 03:31 PM.

A Maxstar has the advantage that if you have AC power, you would not need to run the genset at all. A dual voltage welder is the choice for field use.

The Maxstar manual does not say how large a generator would be needed. I will let others comment on why that would or would not be a good idea. I do think that a Bobcat or Trailblazer would present a more professional image.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I mention some options due tocost and I find most field work for a small operator is 1/8 repairs but if I had to do it again for general maintenance work would consider a genset and a Maxstar 150. If we are doing dozer and excavator work this wont cut it but if you are in the fixing business it would work just dandy at about half the purchase price and about 20% of the operating cost as well as cheaper lead/cords.