Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what machine

I was in the LWS and was pricing out the Shopmate and 350. I'm not sure which one, but sounds like I can't go wrong either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Railman, I'm surprised your saying that, On the other hand I have not run the new 252 but I have the XMT set up, a 1987 MM200 and approximately 1996 Miller Vintage 250 amp machine.
    I just find that most of those stand alone MIG's just never seem to have enough power for my hot hand....... Now I have never run a 350P.

Guess I'm just pushing them too much....

Railmen
    2007 Trailblazer 302G
    2004 Invision 354MP
    1999 60 series feeder
    2005 Maxstar 200DX
    2007 CST280
    1999 HF 251-1
    older Hobart hefty wire feeder
    Hyperthrem 600
    Maxstar 150S(such a cute welder)
    had and sold........
    2003 XMT 304CC/CV
    1947 Lincoln SA200G short hood
    1963 Lincoln SA200G
    1975 Lincoln SA200G(best machine ever had )
    1970's Lincoln SAE400G
    2 Maxstar's 200DX's
    1 Maxstar 200SD
    CST 280
    2 CST 250
    MM130

Railmen

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Railmen View Post
    I just find that most of those stand alone MIG's just never seem to have enough power for my hot hand....... Now I have never run a 350P.

Guess I'm just pushing them too much....

Railmen
    If you get a chance...

Try the MM350P....

Bet it makes you smile....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I'm gonna put my .02˘ worth in. I replaced my MM 252 with XMT 350 and S74dx feeder. It is leaps and bounds ahead. The 252 is a toy compared to the XMT.
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    30a spoolgun
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe
    Acer Ultima "Bridgeport Mill"
    340hp Quincy and 400 gallon of air
    Other doodads and a stoker coal stove

Apparently I don't weld on big stuff like a lot of you, The largest stuff that I ever get are excavator booms, sticks, and the buckets, sometimes we do some loader buckets also.

So its very rare for me to weld anything more than about 1-1/4" other than the shanks that hold the teeth.

My little 250 amp migs like the 252 do a great job on that.

If any of you find the MM200s or the 250s not being big enough try using lincolns dual shield 71 Elite with .045 wire and 75/25 gas, It will give you additional heat over the hard wire alone.

Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting the 252 and a Syncrowave 210. As I posted, just a hobby welder and it seemed that it would've snowballed into more $ as I would've had to buy tig/stick items, then I might as well get a cooler, therefore a better tig torch and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by concreteguy View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting the 252 and a Syncrowave 210. As I posted, just a hobby welder and it seemed that it would've snowballed into more $ as I would've had to buy tig/stick items, then I might as well get a cooler, therefore a better tig torch and so on.
    Concreteguy,
    I have a MM 252 and I LOVE it. I am sure you will have no regrets. The only thing I did was put a Bernard gun on it. Good luck.
    Nick

Thanks, I'll most likely upgrade the gun

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

I have a MM252 it is one sweet machine! It makes me look good! The pellet mill we often work at has its identical twin. When Dale Earnhart Jr was hired as a forklift driver it soon needed a new gun. Purchasing agents bought the cheapest gun they could get. While it gathers dust cause it barely works and then causes more frustration than a computer, everyone finds other ways to fasten. There is a fabricator there today welding 1/4" plate butt welds, hundreds of feet of them using a Bobcat and boxes and boxes of 7018. I asked why he didn't use the 252? He said it's a piece of junk, keeps cutting out. Big mystery, I think someone up for a project could buy it cheap!