Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what machine

Default what machine

I was going to upgrade to a mm252, but was thinking of getting a multi-process machine. I have a extreme 12vs feeder, would a XMT 350 cc/cv be good. I don't have a tig or stick welder and was just figuring on getting an all in one machine. I usually just mig if I'm going to weld. I guess my question would be, would the XMT 350 with the 12vs or even a 22a feeder, replace the 252, that I would love to own.
    Thanks, Tom
    P.S. I'm only a hobby welder

That's a step up in my opinion. It could be an even better mig set up if you sold the 12 vs in favor of a 12 rc. It would behave like an all in one mig, and not have a voltage sensing system.

So you're saying that it would be an upgrade to the 252 and would perform like a stand alone mig with tig/stick options. What is your opinion of the Shopmate 300. Is there a durability problem with the circuit boards failing ?
    Thanks, Tom

Yes, from what I've been told, and the research I've done. I personally have been considering an xmt with a RC12 for a while now to run as my fix setup. I have been doing a lot of site work lately since getting a new job, and my little 180 is really starting to be a hindrance in its output and duty cycle limitations. I just don't have the money right now. I to would really like some more opinions on the xmt with a rc feeder.

As far as the shopmate, I have heard multiple times the mig arc is fantastic, almost second to none.

I have a older XMT 304 ( 2002 ) Vintage with a S22 P-12 feed which is the same as a RC feeder which is a good set up, we just brought it back from a job where we had it down in a pit, it was nice because we could carry everything into the pit individually, re hook it up and weld, whether we needed to DC tig, Mig, mig aluminum. arc weld or air arc we could do all processes.
    Not to mention we can run 230v single phase, 230 3 phase or 460 3phase.

On this job we had to hook it up 460 3phase.

I cant speak for the shop master but the XMT is a very diverse machine with a high quality arc.
    You can also install a optima controller to do pulse mig ( I have never tried the pulse however.)

On the other hand, I doubt if you buy the xmt that you will say the xmt is way better than the 252, is it a little better Probably, just don't expect it to be leaps and bounds better.

I would say the XMT will have more sweet spots than the 252.
    Kind of like I have a miller matic vintage, it has a sweet spot all the way up to #5 setting where as #6 kinda sucks and then we swith it to High and the sweet spot comes back at what would be #8 on up.

Nothing wrong with a VS model just no remote hook up for amp adjustments (must adjust amperage at the machine). I am currently selling a 350 VS on Ebay Less than 3 years old. I have 2 more just don't use it enough to keep it sitting around.
    Price is currently at $600
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post

On the other hand, I doubt if you buy the xmt that you will say the xmt is way better than the 252, is it a little better Probably, just don't expect it to be leaps and bounds better.
    I have a new 252 where I teach at, and I just hate the thing on hard wire.... Now I put DW-50 dual shield wire in it and it's much better machine.

Now I have had XMT304 and 350 and they are far better then the 252/250 machines, but then again the 2 machines are in different classes.

Just my $.02

Railmen
    2007 Trailblazer 302G
    2004 Invision 354MP
    1999 60 series feeder
    2005 Maxstar 200DX
    2007 CST280
    1999 HF 251-1
    older Hobart hefty wire feeder
    Hyperthrem 600
    Maxstar 150S(such a cute welder)
    had and sold........
    2003 XMT 304CC/CV
    1947 Lincoln SA200G short hood
    1963 Lincoln SA200G
    1975 Lincoln SA200G(best machine ever had )
    1970's Lincoln SAE400G
    2 Maxstar's 200DX's
    1 Maxstar 200SD
    CST 280
    2 CST 250
    MM130

Railmen

Thanks for the response. I think the Shopmate or 350 is the way I'll go. Is one more reliable than the other ?

Quote Originally Posted by concreteguy View Post
    Thanks for the response. I think the Shopmate or 350 is the way I'll go. Is one more reliable than the other ?
    Miller would have to weigh in as far as reliability of those two. I would suspect the Shopmate 300 has a edge for two reasons. It would never really get bumped around like the portable machine would, and is a less complex design. Has a excellent mig arc, and different then any Miller transformer or inverter I have used from them. Call it a excellent balance in arc quality. Here is the way I look at it...One of the very best Short-arc machines Miller has ever made.. 251-252 machines are not even in the same ball part in arc quality.. (IMO) I could live with the Miller inverter machines pretty well in the short-arc, but prefer other brands of inverters for their short-arc type. (Thermal-arc MST 400 for one) To me it welds very similar to a Esab 260/300 (Which I owned a few) It's a great stick machine, and has a excellent tig arc, but lift-arc only..and needs a tig torch with a gas valve..

I remember when the Shopmate 300 DX first came out the Miller rep said the guys at the lab plugged in a pulse box for a Dimension 450NT ,and had the Shopmate pulse.. I don't even see a pulse box for one at this site, so just something I have heard done.. Take it with a grain of salt, but interesting anyway..

Railman, I'm surprised your saying that, On the other hand I have not run the new 252 but I have the XMT set up, a 1987 MM200 and approximately 1996 Miller Vintage 250 amp machine.

Neither me or the 2 guys that work for me have ever expressed that there is a big difference between the 3, If I had to choose one as being the best I would go with the XMT but once again not leaps and bounds better in our opinion.

We have started using the Lincoln 71 elite dual shield in the XMT.

As far as reliability for the shop mig machines, They just keep working year after year without a problem.