Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Stick electrode problem

Hi Everyone,

Can Somebody help me with this. I'm using a DC welder and I'm encountering a problem where the filler metal of the stick electrodes melts faster than the flux. This produces a concave inside the stick electrode, hence making it difficult to strike an arc again. You have to break the protruding flux before the arc will ignite again.
    The stick electrode I'm using is 6013 1/8" diameter china rod. When comparing to a locally manufactured electrode of 7018 1/8" diameter rod (best quality), the flux and the filler metal melt at the same time.

Any ideas why this happened? Thanks! Much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Normal

Hi Mawz17,

you are experiencing a normal thing. Everyone deals with it in their own way, I roll the electrode tip between my fingers to break it away or strike the electrode aggressively if the weld is non-critical.

Don't sweat it mate

Nick

That happens with 70-18 too, quite often actually. Nowadays its just a ' must do' before I weld

find a limb of an oak or maple tree about 5'dia, slice off about 5 " or so, drill a 3/4" hole in the ctr about 1" deep, use this hole to twist off the flux, save the gloves, also, when your torch tip gets grimmy, just drag it over the oak while it is still burning, it cleans the tip, this does not replace a tip cleaner, it cleans the torch good enough so you can keep working, then clean it with the tip cleaner when it cools off. instead of a limb from a tree, any piece of oak will do, you see this in the shops usually run by the grey beard welders

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    find a limb of an oak or maple tree about 5'dia
    I would love to find some 5' dia trees. I have the saw...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Did I miss something here?,...............

I dont know what to say, other than, thats a saw, a real saw. I cant help but like it, like it alot

Thumbs up

thumbs up for the 5' diameter maple or oak...jeez everything is bigger south of the border

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Quote Originally Posted by willy j View Post
    Did I miss something here?,...............
    Yup.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    I dont know what to say, other than, thats a saw, a real saw. I cant help but like it, like it alot
    Thanks Kevin. I couldn't afford one in '76 when my dad was a dealer of the Echo brand. A guy emailed me and said he had a box of big saw parts under his porch if i was interested. It had cut Northern Cali wood its whole life and didn't run. Well being an Echo Tech i got her going and love using it even with a smaller bar on it. Since we don't have much big wood except for the Maples and Willows that seem to grow in clumps off the stump. 100cc and it will move some chips. Sorry for the post hack Got excited talking about saws...Bob
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wDHm...=ULEMCjHs9z1d8
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48