Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MIG trigger is too sensitive for me

The MIG trigger is too sensitive for me. With gloves on i can actuate the trigger when setting up a weld start point or moving to q new location. This retults in a blast of wire making contact with thing I do not want to weld. Is there a way to increase the pressure required to actuate the trigger?
    Thanks all Skip

if we knew what type of rig you have, we may come up with a solution, welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum Skip.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    if we knew what type of rig you have, we may come up with a solution, welcome to the forum
    That might help a bunch, but one possible way would be to install a stiffer spring behind the trigger.

Default A fix

Take the handle apart and spread the contacts out with some needle nose. That's how we get a lite trigger pull by bending them closer together . Should fix your problem.
    Jason

How can we give you any useful advice if you have not given us the make and model of MIG gun??

They are all different... some have microswitches.. some have flat brass springs... others yet again different... useless to try and guess till you give us more info..

MAKE?? MODEL??
    Last edited by H80N; 04-09-2014 at 07:49 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Keep your finger off the trigger when you're not welding, hope to **** for the safety of anyone around you you don't own a handgun.
    Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

it may be too sensitive or...maybe you are using extra heavy stiff gloves?

without the model as other said we can feed you infinitely with various suggestions

since we dont know what you have, we could assume that you have one of them 99 buck specials at h f , where the wire is always hot, it is not one of them, i hope

Wear thinner gloves. Those heavy stick arc gloves give you no feel. Look at the tillman mig gloves or something similar.. If you are using a miller mig gum, you can disassemble the red switch, and there is a spring in there. You can pull it apart slightly, but in all the triggers I have had, i have never had a spring issue. Try another similar gun at the LWS to see if it is a lot different than yours, if so, then order a new one. Sometimes dirt will get inside the switch, not allowing it to fully open, might look into that.