Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Disconnecting PFC on Dialarc

I have a older Dialarc 250P AC/DC. Has anyone disconnected the power factor capacitors (PFC) on a Dialarc? If so how did you do it and how does the machine work with the capacitors disconnected? I hear you can simply remove the two wires feeding the capacitors and it will work as a straight 250 machine and drop the idle amperage considerably.

If you read though this thread it should help you decide what to do with your Dialarc. I am considering an automatic switching PFC like the one done in this thread since I am running an Idealarc on a 40 amp breaker. It hasn't tripped the breaker yet but if it does I may have to get creative. http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...rc-250-cleanup
    ---Meltedmetal
    Last edited by Meltedmetal; 04-12-2014 at 06:21 AM.

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Before you disconnect, check your electric meter. Compare the load of the Dialarc at idle to say the clothes dryer. These capacitors don't actually use much electricity. Think of them as truck springs. They absorb then give back. At idle I suspect your cost is minimal, only the inefficiency lost as heat.

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.