Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default welding occupation?

I'm thinking about going to welding school. So you guys think there's a demand for welders in today's work force?

Cool

NE Ohio is screaming for welders that can pass a drug test and show up on time everyday..Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    NE Ohio is screaming for welders that can pass a drug test and show up on time everyday..Bob
    i have to laugh. i think this is pretty much the whole country!

Why do they want to get rid of the best hands??? hahaha

I just graduated from the local vo-tech's pipe welding course. Not that I am interested in pipe welding, I just wanted to learn how to weld and this is what was available and the VA paid for it.... Anyway, a couple days before I graduated, I went in early to pack up some of the junk from my locker. I sta down and talked to the day instructor (I was on nights) for awhile. One of his students (a pretty good welder, according to the instructor) asked if he would call a company hiring guy and put in a good word for him. He did and the company sent him to do a drug test. He failed, end of story. The guy complained that he passed his probation screening tests every month! Another guy in the class, basically homeless and not such a good welder, asked the instructor to call the company for him. After a bit of discussion, he did. The hiring guy complained about the last guy the instructor recommended and said to tell him that as long as he has 'whatever' (he would not say) in his system he would never get hired by anyone. He relented and set the other guy up for his drug screening. He took the test and passed so they set him up to come over and do a welding test. He passed that too and was hired. He's now making $33/hr plus per diem. He stopped in after working for 3 weeks to thank the instructor and told him he was on his way to buy a new pickup truck. So, the guy who didn't weld quite as good but could pass the pee test went from being basically homeless to bringing in around $2400 week after taxes. Life changing!! The better welder is still in class though I am not sure why unless he has taken to heart what he was told.

Just curious, you guys talking about a need for welders, what is the pay rate? I'm in north NJ & most job openings for welders aren't paying well in this area. Wages have been stagnant here for over a decade in the blue collar world. Most ads I see are for less than $20 an hour & that's if you have exceptional skills. Keep in mind this area has a high cost of living.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by mbramble View Post
    I just graduated from the local vo-tech's pipe welding course. Not that I am interested in pipe welding, I just wanted to learn how to weld and this is what was available and the VA paid for it.
    If you catch on quick a pipe course would be a good way to learn. I went to welding school in a com college. I wasn't in the top of my class, well I was but it really didn't have a lot to do with welding other than I could pass all position open butt test plates. I also did apprenticeship and parts, 2 years of a couple more trades. People that have been thru trade school teach better than those who don't, usually, and those that been to 1 learn better.
    I got a long story with welding and some zig zag route. One regret which I had intended right out of the box was I didn't spin on a pipeline. It would have been a natural fit. There was enough local, the on.off dynamics would have been better than iron.
    Welding is super fluid in the job market, as an auxiliary skill or primary occupation.
    I installed signs, some passable guys but never ran in to one that could weld at a real high level, I am sure they are there and schools will help in places so much of the learnin is hand to mouth. Same for farming but they are getting better.
    Last edited by Sberry; 04-11-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan558 View Post
    I'm thinking about going to welding school. So you guys think there's a demand for welders in today's work force?
    Plenty of demand, just need to find the right fit for you. You can work for local companies producing crap mig welded stuff, and sit in a booth all day welding it, or go to work for an iron company welding buildings together, or a pipeline company, likely as a helper for a year. It all depends on what you enjoy welding. I hired an fairly unskilled guy 2 years ago. He shows up every day, the training has taken a long time, but now he can cut, weld, bend, forge, and finish most of the custom ironwork that i do. I can leave him in the shop working while i go on sales calls, and come back to finished products. If he had started out more skilled it would have taken less time, but he seems to enjoy what I do. Moral of the story, find out what brach of welding you enjoy, and pursue that. Show up every day on time, and be able to pass a pee test if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan558 View Post
    High demand low pay and little respect, so unless you REALLY love to weld do something else.
    America, Clinging to our Guns and Religon since 1776.

I'm from a rural community as well and even in the bigger surrounding towns shop welders make $12 - &15 hr. And people wonder why they're are a lack of welders. Why would a guy spend 10-20 thousand dollars going to welding school and on top of that spend every free moment at home trying to better his craft when he can go to the local factories and make the same money to push a button on a stamp press. I believe that if a guy is going to make a good living as a welder they have to hit the road, but in the same hand they had better to be prepared to make that commitment to be away from there spouses and children for a period of time. It's tough no matter which direction a person goes. And as far as repair work goes in my area ( its mainly a farming community with little construction) people are leasing or buying new equipment every year so everything is covered by warranty or doesn't need repair