Some background.
I'm new to the welding hobby/profession. I've done some mig projects for friends
and have a fair amount of autobody rust repair to do on my Nissan Z cars.
I picked up a broken 2009 Diversion 165 off of Craigslist for 350. It came with a bunch
of consumables that seemed to make it worth the gamble. The owner had said that his buddy was welding some aluminum that was thicker than its capabilities when it made an audible pop, then stopped working. It powers up and the cooling fan comes on, but that's it.

I'm an engineering tech and work around/am familiar with PCB's and other electro-mechanical assemblies as my day job so i figured i'd take a look at repairing the diversion myself. An audible pop usually leaves evidence of where it happened.

After cracking it open, an initial inspection found no smoking gun. I pulled the spec sheets for the rectifiers and they measured ok.

With no obvious signs of damage, i recently took it into my local service center and paid the 75.00 diagnostic charge. I got the quote back and it came in at ~1000 + 75.00 labor charge to replace both PCB's.

parts are $1006.09 add one hour labor to this at 75.00.
NOTE; THIS MACHINE HAS TWO LARGE COSTLY PC BOARDS
WITH NO WAY TO CHECK THE ON-BOARD INT.CHIPS.
THE OTHER PC BOARD COULD HAVE TAKEN A HIT AS WELL!!!
I inquired if this would fix the problem or could there be something else damaged as well. I haven't got a reply on that question.

Before taking it in, i did some research and found prices for both PCBs, one was ~550, the other was ~270. I was hoping the diagnostic might clue me in to what parts i needed, then i would purchase them and install them myself.

With a 165 costing ~1375 on airgasoutlet, and me having a tax refund check for almost that amount, It would seem like just buying a new one would be a better move as it would at least have a warranty.

I thought i'd ask here before doing that to see if anyone would know if there is more that i could troubleshoot before junking this welder.

Thanks!