Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Dialarc Switch

[QUOTE=Willie B;319607]If you are tripping breakers under conditions you never did before, I'd suggest getting an electrician to check. could be anywhere between high voltage utility line and welder. A bad connection might cause your symptoms. The place I would check first is behind your breaker. The most common failure is there. Some brands of breaker panels are worse than others.

[Thanks Willie, I'll check my electrical connections on the switch. That may be a good place to start troubleshooting the problem as I had just barely touched the switch to turn it off when the breaker blew. Perhaps there is a loose connection and I jiggled it when I touched it? I bought the machine new in 1983 but never used it very much. I babied it but it has been moved quite a few time (military relocations) so may be it got shaken a few times by movers. Cheers]

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    My knowledge of electric rates is limited to one power company. Here we have "time of day metering" (a KWH costs more at time of peak load) otherwise a power factor of .9 means 10 percent of the power the utility meter reads is wasted.The same is true of 1.1 or capacitive load. You can overdo it.
    This does not hold true for industrial customers. They pay a penalty when power factor is off.
    The power company rules are about the same here except that residential customers can choose whether or not to go on the dual rate energy or pay a steady rate that falls I think between, but above center of, the low off-peak rate and the higher peak rate of dual energy. Customers make their choice based on how they want to live their lives. If you can run your heavy loads in off peak hours you can save money by selecting the dual rate but if you schedule is such that it is a real pain to run everything at off-peak hours you just pay more and live with it. If you are a commercial /industrial customer and not gigantic(where they cut you a real sweet deal on electricity) you just pay....and pay....and pay some more.
    I have another related question but I think I will stop highjacking Niles' thread and start another one as I think it will pull the discussion away from his topic.---Meltedmetal

i have the same machine with the power factor, my shop is run by a 100 amp sub panel. i have 2 50 amp recepticles, many 20 amp plugs then the dialarc is hard wired to a 60 amp breaker. i do all of my own electrical, but i am no electrician, so i need to rely on the manuals for the proper wire size for my particular situation. this has been in place for 4 years now, and never blew a breaker/ this welder draws little while welding, it gobbles up the juice while at idle, it will use so little electricity that it is not any issue, dont worry about usage. welding shops use very little electricity, the big draw comes from grinders, mills, ect. not the weldor, unless you have something from the 50,s,60,s 70,s and ways a ton. one thing about the dialarc is that in low range it has a lower duty cycle than high range, so if you are in the 130 amp range with 7018, and need to do alot of welding, go to high range