Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Amperage Dialarc

Can anyone tell me the idle amperage (amperage when the machine is running but not welding) on a Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC with power factor corection (PFC) when connected to a 230 VAC power supply? I've ran this maching for many years on only a 40 amp breaker (for 3/32" amd 1/8" 7018 rods only) but last weekend it blew the breaker for the first time when it was idleing. Maybe the breaker is getting weak? Appreciate your comments. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Can anyone tell me the idle amperage (amperage when the machine is running but not welding) on a Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC with power factor corection (PFC) when connected to a 230 VAC power supply? I've ran this maching for many years on only a 40 amp breaker (for 3/32" amd 1/8" 7018 rods only) but last weekend it blew the breaker for the first time when it was idleing. Maybe the breaker is getting weak? Appreciate your comments. Thanks
    Serial Number..?? for correct manual

I am seeing about 25amps draw at idle for 230vac... no data on PFC difference..

See section 3-2 in the manual

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o321q_mil.pdf

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

25 at idle!?
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    25 at idle!?
    24.8 Idle Amps @ 230 VAC....

Remember this is a Magnetic Amplifier/Transformer machine...

and they are power hungry... even at idle...
    Last edited by H80N; 04-07-2014 at 09:59 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

PFC will not change the standing amp draw. It's only effective to eliminate spikes when welding. The electric company sees these spikes as useage and bills accordingly. No spikes = lower bills.

Quote Originally Posted by 1997CST View Post
    PFC will not change the standing amp draw. It's only effective to eliminate spikes when welding. The electric company sees these spikes as useage and bills accordingly. No spikes = lower bills.
    The literature does not seem to support your hypothesis entirely. From the Dialarc manual of 2004 OM-321 The 250P at idle draws 24.8 amps and the 250 without PFC draws 4.4 amps at idle both on 230v. That looks to me like if you have a 250P you should shut it off when you are not welding. My understanding is that the PFC is really an advantage if you are on commercial power(where you get dinged for being off optimum(1) by more than 10%) and using the machine heavily or if you are using it heavily on residential power where you get billed for the apparent usage rather than the real usage. Someone on the Welding Web forum added a circuit to an ideal arc to disconnect the PFC at idle and only re-engage it when he was welding might be worth a look.---Meltedmetal

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    The literature does not seem to support your hypothesis entirely. From the Dialarc manual of 2004 OM-321 The 250P at idle draws 24.8 amps and the 250 without PFC draws 4.4 amps at idle both on 230v. That looks to me like if you have a 250P you should shut it off when you are not welding. My understanding is that the PFC is really an advantage if you are on commercial power(where you get dinged for being off optimum(1) by more than 10%) and using the machine heavily or if you are using it heavily on residential power where you get billed for the apparent usage rather than the real usage. Someone on the Welding Web forum added a circuit to an ideal arc to disconnect the PFC at idle and only re-engage it when he was welding might be worth a look.---Meltedmetal
    As pfc in a Dialarc runs not from incoming line but from its own coil influenced by or influencing the rest of the transformer, I'm not clear if it is variable in power. If in fact it is full on whenever the welder is on, it might do too much at idle or light load.
    In inductive loads such as a welder, Voltage and Amperage are out of sync. (timing is off). Capacitors are electrical trampolines bouncing back a charge they received in the previous half cycle. Properly sized, they improve the reading from utility meters, at least at full load. Smaller cable is needed, less is lost to voltage loss in service, feeder, and circuit conductors. It may be these machines are over corrected at idle.