Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by NDAV8R View Post
    I do great when I leave the coffee alone. Since I went through tonsil cancer a few years ago, I received 7 weeks of daily radiation treatments. In doing so they fried all my nerves in my mouth and now until I pushing up roses.
    I cannot have any with carbonation, cause it stings like h*ll. Can't have beer, booze, champagne, POP, as well as some catsups, steak sauce, etc. I can drink, water, tea, milk, dreaded coffee, maybe a noncarbonated sports drink(never energy drinks).
    The coffee thing is just a little morning habit, but it shows if I have more than I say about 3 cups. I have talked to other tig guys, and they like to stay away from welding until after noon. Sometimes I can't predict when I have to pick up the tig torch.
    The dreaded coffee shakes only lasts a couple of hours, so if I try to avoid the pair (welding and coffee). I was just wondering if any one had a solution.
    I'll just keep plugging away with it.
    NDAV8R
    Ok, just checking wrt the non-caffeine causes. Sorry about your tonsils --- let's hope nothing worse happens.

Similar to cgotto6's advice, the only other advice I've got is to eat a decent sized breakfast with your morning coffee. I find that if I just drink a lot of coffee in the morning, I'm edgy and 'not right' for several hours. If I eat a decent breakfast (2-3 pieces of toast is adequate for me, your mileage may vary...) then it doesn't happen. I can drink coffee all day without any real down side. My guess is that, just like alcohol, having a full stomach slows down (or at least seems to slow down) the uptake of the caffeine.

Good luck
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
    Jeeezz! If coffee shakes can make me weld like that, then I gotta get me some of what you're using!! Beautiful stuff!

I'm a "used to be" private pilot who can't afford to fly at today's prices.
    Boy I hear you Dobermann, now aviation gas is over $7 per gallon, it's really tough to keep a bird in the sky. I am currently getting back into it for a 5 year battle of cancer. Back in the 70's when I learned how to fly, North Dakota had 4500 registered pilots, now the state is lucky to have 1500. With all the Govt. regs and costs it is really tough. Thanks for the comments.

NDAV8R
    NDAV8R
    CANCER SURVIVOR
    Commercial Pilot since 1975
    MILLER DYNASTY 350 TIG
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX Tig
    Miller 252 Mig with 30-A Spool Gun
    Lincoln SP 270
    Hypertherm 625 Plazma Cutter
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Clausing 10 x 24 Turning Lathe
    Two 1918 16 x 60 South Bend Turning Lathes

coffe don't make me shake but the two neck fussions with severe nerve damage get me hands shakin pretty bad.what I do to get it to stop is swing my arms sorta like a lady throws a soft ball then I shake my hands like im trying to get a whasp off and that most times will get it to stop. sometimes nothing works so I just find something else to do til it stops then I continue with the welding or cutting.

It sounds as if you have what is called essential tremor. Essential tremor is exacerbated by caffeine and lessened by alcohol. Since you are at work the alcohol is not an option. The beta-blocker Inderal (propranolol) has been used to treat essential tremor for more than 40 years. So the best thing to do is a quick visit do your doctor and ask him to prescribe some Inderal. Oh by the way, stress will also increase your tremor. Let me know if you need more information.
    Nick

my wife has essential tremors and was prescribed enderol it worked so so .she went back to the dr and they put her on klonopin and that worked the best. but the best thing that worked was weed. now that it's being legalized by just about every state I feel a lot of people will turn to it instead of taking pills for pain and shakes.my wifes hands shake so bad sometimes she can't even sign her name. if you live in a state where weed is legal for medical use you might wanna look into it. and no im not some weed head trying to get people to smoke weed .I deal with severe back and neck pain resulting from an on the job injury. I take way to many pain meds just to have a somewhat regular day.i also tried smoking some when I didn't have the money to fill my meds and it worked pretty good not 100 percent pain free but it got rid of most of the painmy pain meds cost me around 500 bucks a month not to mention all the damage they are doing to my liver and other organs.

I have degenerative bone loss in my upper and lower spine which sure hasn't helped steady my hands over the years. As mentioned I would cut out the coffee for a couple of days and see if that helps, If not might want to see your doctor. By the way nice looking welds.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by tommy2069 View Post
    my wife has essential tremors and was prescribed enderol it worked so so .she went back to the dr and they put her on klonopin and that worked the best. but the best thing that worked was weed. now that it's being legalized by just about every state I feel a lot of people will turn to it instead of taking pills for pain and shakes.my wifes hands shake so bad sometimes she can't even sign her name. if you live in a state where weed is legal for medical use you might wanna look into it. and no im not some weed head trying to get people to smoke weed .I deal with severe back and neck pain resulting from an on the job injury. I take way to many pain meds just to have a somewhat regular day.i also tried smoking some when I didn't have the money to fill my meds and it worked pretty good not 100 percent pain free but it got rid of most of the painmy pain meds cost me around 500 bucks a month not to mention all the damage they are doing to my liver and other organs.
    Where is the like button....dammit I can't find it!!
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

lol..

If you're a regular coffee drinker and you quit cold turkey, expect headaches for a while. Caffeine with drawls always give me a low grade headache.