Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Aluminum frame capable of 8000# of torque

Had a customer ask me to design and fabricate a winch frame for a pontoon boat capable of withstanding 8000 lbs of pull. My partner and I were thinking 3"x3"x1/2" angle for the outside of the frame and 3" channel for the bracing inside the frame. Has anyone ran into this? Any better ideas? How in the heck would I or they test it?

Add Content

Quote Originally Posted by Dentwelding View Post
    Had a customer ask me to design and fabricate a winch frame for a pontoon boat capable of withstanding 8000 lbs of pull. My partner and I were thinking 3"x3"x1/2" angle for the outside of the frame and 3" channel for the bracing inside the frame. Has anyone ran into this? Any better ideas? How in the heck would I or they test it?
    Use tube, stronger and lighter than angle. The size would be dictated primarily by the span. 8000 pounds is a lot of force. How are you going to attach the frame to the pontoon? Is the pontoon big enough to lift 8000 pounds? Once the pontoon is more than 50% submerged it becomes less stable. How do you know it would be stable with that load? What are they going to lift? sunken trucks?

If you are in salt water, I would use aluminum for the frame. In fresh water, you can probably get away with painted steel.

You might really want an engineer to design this, big forces involved, plus the complicating factor of being on a boat. You probably don't have a design that you can copy.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by raferguson View Post
    Use tube, stronger and lighter than angle. The size would be dictated primarily by the span. 8000 pounds is a lot of force. How are you going to attach the frame to the pontoon? Is the pontoon big enough to lift 8000 pounds? Once the pontoon is more than 50% submerged it becomes less stable. How do you know it would be stable with that load? What are they going to lift? sunken trucks?

If you are in salt water, I would use aluminum for the frame. In fresh water, you can probably get away with painted steel.

You might really want an engineer to design this, big forces involved, plus the complicating factor of being on a boat. You probably don't have a design that you can copy.

Richard
    Here's his other thread in welding projects section, for more info.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...000lbs-of-pull

My guess is that we are talking about a winch and not a hoist.

A winch is based off pulling a 8,000 lb load up a 15% incline approximately so the actual load would only be about 1200 lbs.

You can give us sizes of aluminum but this doesn't help if we don't know how your designing it and what its being attached to.

Sorry for being so vague but its about how its done.

I design stuff every day without the help of a engineer so I just over build it to cover my a$$.

So that's what your going to have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    My guess is that we are talking about a winch and not a hoist.

A winch is based off pulling a 8,000 lb load up a 15% incline approximately so the actual load would only be about 1200 lbs..
    A winch is based on how much line force(pull) is exerted on the cable. The way you state it, it could have different interpretations, a rolling load, or a sliding load. Makes a big difference in the pull required for each. It's a matter of total line tension at maximum pulling force, in this case four tons.

Bistineau, That's why I used words such as ( Approximate ) and ( About )

I did not say exactly, I do realize there are variables.

The point I was trying to make is that a lot of people don't know there's a difference between hoist and winch.

Hoists are rated to lift vertical loads, so a 4,000 lb hoist will lift 4,000 lb. load vertically.

All the specifications that I have ever read on winches have mentioned rolling loads of approximately a 15% grade.

I'm sure there might be other winch manufacturers that rate a little differently.

I guess we need to wait for the OP the provide more info on this project.