Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Unhappy Welding Rods for Novice

Hi Everyone, I can't weld worth a hoot and stick welding is a real challenge for me.

I have the "ol red" Lincoln and only have 30 amps where I use it.

I have built buildings (sheds, patio, etc) using a wire-feed, but it sure isn't pretty!

Right now, I have been welding on some lightweight galvanized pipes, and it's a real pain. I have a hard time getting the stick to start and when it does, I might just burn a hole in the pipe.

So much for my woes! I came across a couple cans of 3/32 rods about half as big as my little finger. Can't even find the specs on'em. I borrow a few sticks from a neighbor who swears by the 7014, but they tend to act the same way as my larger ones did. Probably operator error .

WHAT WOULD RECOMMEND (other than tossing my welder), based on what I have disclosed ? Also, what settings?

Many thanks,

Jim

do you have only 30 amps for a welding setting or do you have only a 30 amp breaker, either way, that makes no diff for rod choice, 7014 rod is a little brother to 7024, it just has less filler, allowing it to be used out of position, i dont like the stuff, too much flux on it, try 6011 for galvy, i use that alot, what i have noticed lately is that the 3/32 size runs lousy, where the 1/8 runs totally different, but that may be too hot, the 3/32 6011 has an issue when it is run hot, with the flux over heating, if you have dc, try 6010, 3/32, i have had this problem with most of the common store bought 6011, such as lincoln, other, better rods may not give this grief

1/8 6011 and 3/32 7018AC

Welcome to the forum Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    do you have only 30 amps for a welding setting or do you have only a 30 amp breaker, either way, that makes no diff for rod choice, 7014 rod is a little brother to 7024, it just has less filler, allowing it to be used out of position, i dont like the stuff, too much flux on it, try 6011 for galvy, i use that alot, what i have noticed lately is that the 3/32 size runs lousy, where the 1/8 runs totally different, but that may be too hot, the 3/32 6011 has an issue when it is run hot, with the flux over heating, if you have dc, try 6010, 3/32, i have had this problem with most of the common store bought 6011, such as lincoln, other, better rods may not give this grief
    Thanks, guys. When I ran the wire to the garage, I only ran heavy enough wire for 30 amp. Dumb me! I wasn't thinking I guess and didn't ask anyone what I should use. If I were to use a 50 breaker, I might burn something up, and I don't want to dig up that wiring, although I might. Maybe I'll re-do it. It's only less than 50'.

As I understand it, the core of the rod is what is gauged, but more filler can be put around it in different cases. That was the case with mine. It had a lot of filler on it. The one I borrowed didn't have a lot less and it didn't seem to matter a lot in the way they welded. Anyway, I was trying to weld a "little" round rod to a larger round pipe. I think I just need an education in welding, cuz practice isn't making perfect, for sure . Regards, Jim

first off, run a line for a 50 amp breaker, not sure what weldor you are using, with a 50 amp breaker, you can run an ac/dc stick welder running on 220v, if you have a crappy weldor, you may get crappy welds, and yes to practice, just grab a thick piece of steel, .750 and up, and just spend time running stringers, then start doing a build up, laying 1 bead next to the other, once you have mastered that, then go onto welding on the pipe. the thicker the better for the plate for being able to hold the heat without welding on some piece that is always red