Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default XMT304 throwing breaker when switch is turned on. Help!

Hi guys, I am working on a xmt 304 cc/cv and need some help. I posted over on another forum, but have not been able to get as much help as I need. I recently bought a 304 at an auction. I got it home, plugged it in flipped the switch on and boom breaker popped. Checked wiring and such, and still the same thing. Pulled the cover off and discovered VR1 is cooked. So I spent the next few days trying to get my hands on a tech manual. Well I finally got one today and took the machine along with the manual to my electronic gooroo brother. We started doing the pre power check and disovered right away the SR1 and on/off power switch is bad along with the VR1. So i will be ordering those parts to replace them. However, what else do I need to be looking at. Is there something else that we are missing that could have caused these parts to go bad, or did these parts cause anything else to go bad. I really don't want to replace the parts only to have it happen over again. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dang, not one even looker.

Weekend
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Cruizer will be in on Monday. Also, post up a serial number so that he can get the right tech manual in front of this to help out.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

The serial number to my machine is LB277886. Thanks.

Obviously a short circuit somewhere beyond the last burnt component. MAYBE the incoming service was hit by lightning in its previous life. Hard to determine. One would think that an internal short would have popped the breaker in its former life.
    Unless it was wired with the wrong size breaker or a breaker was not used. Unfortunately, as I am sure your brother told you, these things can be a nightmare
    to troubleshoot. He will need the tech manual and lots of patience. I did this for a living for many many years. It was fun and also SUCKED a lot of days. Maybe you will get lucky and there will be some know "generic" problem with that particular machine and someone in here will know the answer to the mystery.
    In general when "light weight" components short they usually burn open and can be easy to find. In your case maybe a shorted "stud" diode?? Worse case a transformer. Sorry I did not have the correct answer and that a lot of this is just me thinking out loud. Retired now and actually miss the mystery of component level troubleshooting. Good Luck.

Maybe you have it already but there is an owners manual available for that on this site. Within it is a schematic that might help to some degree. Again, Good Luck.

Yeah I was able to get my hands on the Service/Tech manual. We did the pre power check and everything checked out ok other than the on/off Switch, SR1 and VR1. So I am in the process of at least getting those shipped.

SR1 is likely blown, as well as do dads on your output board

Your going to need that board that sits on your SR!, Another thing after your output board is your top board, generally the pulse trasnformers are trashed. These fire the IGBT's. Best take it into a qualified tech