Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    South Carolina, Dixie
    Posts
    515

    Angry Snail Trails and Porosity

    All right welders, I am not new to this game. But for the life of me I need to know where all the "snail trails" and occasional but sometimes frequent porosity comes from in dual shield FLUX CORE wire?

    I looked at lack of shielding gas: Nope. 25 cfh
    I looked at wind or air currents: Nope. Inside the shop and no fans.
    I looked at the wire: Nope. Same stuff I've been using.. ESAB 710x.
    I looked at the material. Nope. Even ground off the mill scale.

    I was welding sched. 40 3" pipe to 1/4" flat bar using .045 710x wire at 25.5v and 380 IPM.
    Maybe a couple of you more learned folks can TS this for my old A__!
    Mustangs Forever!

    Miller equipment.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,215

    Smile

    Glad to see you back...

    thought you were in the Keys...

    Might be a bad roll of wire....

    thought that I had heard ESAB was now marketing Chinese wire....
    .

    *******************************************
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

    Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

    My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

    TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    South Carolina, Dixie
    Posts
    515

    Cool Relocated

    Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Glad to see you back...

    thought you were in the Keys...

    Might be a bad roll of wire....

    thought that I had heard ESAB was now marketing Chinese wire....
    Had a new opportunity in the Carolinas. Working Marina needed a private welding contractor. Been at it now about a year. Building mostly Anodized aluminum stuff but, like most of us, doing whatever it takes to keep the wolves at bay.
    Really nice to hear from you too!
    Mustangs Forever!

    Miller equipment.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Salem ,Ohio
    Posts
    3,913

    Cool

    I weld .045 ESAB 710X everyday. Turn your volts to 23.3 and the wire to 233 and try it. You are too hot for the part...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    South Carolina, Dixie
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I weld .045 ESAB 710X everyday. Turn your volts to 23.3 and the wire to 233 and try it. You are too hot for the part...Bob

    OK. I'll give it a try. As for the CFH... am I using enough at 25? I know my other 350P machine is set for AL only and I run 45 cfh on the 100 Argon. But I can't ever remember running more than 25 cfh on the 75/25 gas.
    Mustangs Forever!

    Miller equipment.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Salem ,Ohio
    Posts
    3,913

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by captkipp View Post
    OK. I'll give it a try. As for the CFH... am I using enough at 25? I know my other 350P machine is set for AL only and I run 45 cfh on the 100 Argon. But I can't ever remember running more than 25 cfh on the 75/25 gas.
    I run 25 cfh with 75/25 on my machine. Also i use the M-25 Miller gun and when that rubber O Ring at the end of the nozzle wears out i get holes. Don't know what gun you have but just a thought...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern ND
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I never go below 40-45 cfh even inside. Don't push dual shield if you can help it, drag it.
    Approx. 3/4" stick out.
    Has the wire been in high humidity for a while? Just some things I've had problems with in the past.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Western Pa.
    Posts
    228

    Default Snail Trails and Porosity

    Ran into same problem couple years ago. Can't remember details on worm tracks but remember had a lot to do with heat input and some with mutipass temps. But told me didn't affect weld quality that much.
    As for porosity, started out every now & then didn't give much thought, just grind out reweld.
    Then on long weekend with big job & deadline got worse. More grinding than welding. Did everything could think of!! Changed out gas, tried different blend, cleaned liner, was inside shop, closed all doors, put up tent to shield, changed out wire spool to new one, pre ground everything changed grinder wheels, got better then back just as bad. Would come & go. Called my WS. He walked me through all above, no help. He then gave me phone # of a 40 year welding guru tech. Called him, he walked me through everything again including my technique & application etc. then had me check lot number on my wire (3-rolls all same).
    His verdict, faulty wire! Explained process to make and said sometimes it happens to all makers that the flux inside is missing or light or not mixed correct in a section of wire and results in porosity.
    Told me to call my WS and hv them check lot number on there stock, it was all the same. They called manufacture had them overnight air 2-rolls from different lot number. Put on new roll, porosity gone and so was my hair ( pulled most of it out that week).
    He said in that style wire it happens to all manufactures at some time. Shows up sometimes just in small section of wire or at worst in a complete lot of wire.
    Happened to me. Hope it helps. Just a thought.
    Greg

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    South Carolina, Dixie
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gnforge View Post
    Ran into same problem couple years ago. Can't remember details on worm tracks but remember had a lot to do with heat input and some with mutipass temps. But told me didn't affect weld quality that much.
    As for porosity, started out every now & then didn't give much thought, just grind out reweld.
    Then on long weekend with big job & deadline got worse. More grinding than welding. Did everything could think of!! Changed out gas, tried different blend, cleaned liner, was inside shop, closed all doors, put up tent to shield, changed out wire spool to new one, pre ground everything changed grinder wheels, got better then back just as bad. Would come & go. Called my WS. He walked me through all above, no help. He then gave me phone # of a 40 year welding guru tech. Called him, he walked me through everything again including my technique & application etc. then had me check lot number on my wire (3-rolls all same).
    His verdict, faulty wire! Explained process to make and said sometimes it happens to all makers that the flux inside is missing or light or not mixed correct in a section of wire and results in porosity.
    Told me to call my WS and hv them check lot number on there stock, it was all the same. They called manufacture had them overnight air 2-rolls from different lot number. Put on new roll, porosity gone and so was my hair ( pulled most of it out that week).
    He said in that style wire it happens to all manufactures at some time. Shows up sometimes just in small section of wire or at worst in a complete lot of wire.
    Happened to me. Hope it helps. Just a thought.
    Greg
    Roger that. The "suspect" roll of wire had been around awhile. But we only had a few issues on a previous day on the large plate job. I attributed those issues to breezes as the shop doors were open. But yesterday....Oh I get the loss of hair thing. Extra time, more grinding than welding, etc. Eventually reset the machine to hard wire and spray to finish the work.
    Mustangs Forever!

    Miller equipment.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    749

    Default

    Most likely the wire has absorbed moisture in the flux.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.