Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hf-251d-1

Default Hf-251d-1

Hello, I'm new to your forum. We found a brand new Miller HF-251D-1 starter in our warehouse at work recently. We figure it went with an old Trailblazer 250G welder/generator set which bit the dust many years ago. It looks like it can be hooked up to an alternate power supply (welder), the only thing is .... it has a multi-pin connector on the back of the machine and I am not exactly clear on what it is for. Is there an economical way to get this thing operational. I have a Thermal Dynamics 3 in 1 that I use on a fairly regular basis for light fabrication and repair work. I've played around a bit with the lift TIG function and caught on fairly quickly since I've also done a lot of oxy/acetylene in my past. Would love to try it out on some aluminum. .... Would appreciate any suggestions ... Thanks

Your Trailblazer has a 14 pin plug as well as the Hi Freq box should as well, so you need to get a control cable from Miller and some gas hoses.

Default Hf-251d-1

You can download an owners manual here: http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php?model
    Your 3 in 1 will not tig weld aluminum. You need a machine with an AC output. The HF-251d only supplies high frequency. Both AC and continuous high frequency are required to tig weld aluminum.

Default Thanks for the responses and links

I love my 3 in 1 machine and use in quite a bit in my home shop for light fabrication and metal sculpting. When I got it, there was a promotion for a free tig torch. I had lots of fun with the scratch tig once I got the settings down right. Unfortunately you are right, the scratch tig has some limitations as does the dc arc function. At my warehouse (job) where we found the HF-251, we do quite a bit of light fabrication/repair work with an older Miller AC machine that is long overdue for an upgrade. It unfortunately doesn't have that 14 pin female socket. Someone was telling me, there are some welders out there that might work without having to spend mega bucks.