Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Plasma consumables.

How long should tips last on my plasma cutter? I've got a water separator coming out of the compressor, as well as one right on the plasma cutter and the small pigtail miller inline filter.

I doubt I use this machine as much as most here, but how long should my tips be lasting? Seems even with one cut, I can tell there is tip wear happening. If I let the tip go, and just cut anyway, the kerf is not pretty, but still works quite well for a long time.

Got a Miller 625 extreme with the xt40 cutter......... I cut on 220 using the 40 amp tips most of the time.

Drag tip or stand off? My plasma lasts for a long time if I keep the back spatter from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Drag tip or stand off? My plasma lasts for a long time if I keep the back spatter from happening.
    Stand off mostly now, I will admit, I am bad about back spatter sometimes. I just want to cut as fast as it will most of the time.

I used to do the same thing. I'm very careful now, and I'll be extra careful when piercing.

One more thing, my dad uses this cutter alot. Everytime I pick it up after he is done using it, the tip is burnt out and the amperage is turned all the way up regardless of what he is cutting.

Will that affect the life of the tip?

always use the lowest setting that you can get by with, dont hold the gun and shoot it into the air, that kills tips, dont be afraid to use a wire wheel, prefferbly on a bench grinder to wipe off the tips