Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

That's a good idea. Make sure to hold the frame that's going to hold the top away from the edges of the top a couple inches so you can easily clamp material down.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    The acorn is the only table that can be called perfect. My opinion about thick tables is the thicker the better, you cant pound on a thin table with a big hammer. When some one starts off welding, they only think of welding, but in reality, jobs come in requiring welding and mechanical skills. Where a sturdier table will make life easie
    i love the acorn table,but it has its downside too. i do alot of odd jobs ,and when you need to dissasemble something on the table parts and bolts fall through the holes. also i have hold downs but being 6 inches thick on the edge makes it hard to use c clamps along the edge. but as far as beating something silly, it makes a great anvil. i bought it about 15 years ago and himmed and hawed about the $800 i paid for it but i think i could get a little more than that for it. the frame and legs are 4x6x3/8. id imagine these days the frame alone without the top would cost more than that to build.

c clamps are not needed on an acorn, thats the beauty of them things, to you guys that are afraid to make your table heavy because it may be moved at one time or another is a big mistake. my table with all the clamps and vices mounted to it is pushing close to a ton, its nothing to moving it by hand, use a floor jack to raise 1 side, i use a 2x10, just regular framing wood under the legs on 1 side, and under the 2x10, i have many short stubs of 2"pipe, do this to both sides, then use a bar, or stick of angle iron to move it around, just be aware of where the pipes/rollers are. if you are serious about this trade and you are not going thru a fad, please trust me on this one, the heavier the table the better, it dosent have to be huge, if you are welding some thing longer than the table and you need it to be supported, just fab up some kind of saw horse the height of the table, if the shop is small, throw it under the table for storage. another point, straightness is important, but dont get too ****, welding on steel that is sitting on the table or clamping and heating steel to bend or repair will distort the table to some extent. i have had to weld weldments to the table while fabricating, its a no no but is necessary with some jobs, so when you warp the table and need it straight, i will use a few sticks of channel, put them on the table, get them all level, then start your work on top of the channel