Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default Welding table top, material choice and thickness

I called a metal supplier near Pittsburgh earlier today about buying a 36" x 24" plate of steel to use as the top for a section of a work bench we are building into my son's new garage. I intend to inset the plate into the table-top where it will be the "welding table"

I know know next to nothing about alloys of steel or it's finishing. I told that to the sales person, I was at his mercy right from the start.

I told him what my intended use was and the thicknesses I was interested in; 24"x36"and prices for both 0.375 (3/8") and 0.50" (1/2"). He suggested Hot Rolled A-36 steel.

i was given prices of $109 for the 3/8" stuff and $149 for the half inch. There will also be a $20 cut fee added to either one and state sales tax of course.

I'd like to hear tour opninion on mt choice in size and thickness of the plate keeping in mind that the plate is just part of the larger work bench which is 14 feet long and 32" wide. I'd also like to hear your opninion on the salesman's recommendation for the hot rolled A-36 steel.

anything you have to say will be of great interest to me and might help out a few others as well.
    Last edited by 1_old_man; 04-01-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.