Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Miller Legend NT welding/generator - need parts

My NT Legend was one nice welding/generator - bought new at the dealer in 12 or so years back and never any problems. The thing I liked best was how the multiphase output throws an unusually fat smooth arc at low amps & rpm. Then last fall it got wet for days in a storm we had so. After that, rather than run it I took the opportunity to take it back to the dealer for cleaning & service...Where they charged $100 to tell me they no longer service or stock parts for that model.....rats...

I like the Miller NT enough to fix it, but don't know where to go from here. Does anyone service or stock parts for NTs?
    Or if not, what's a good replacement?
    The NT output is 200/225 amps and that's more than enough. Things I appreciate in the NT and want in my next one are a smooth multiphase arc at Lo Amps for lightweight stuff. Plus use as a generator that runs fairly quiet and low RPM and can put out real AC power without needing high RPM to do it.

Any ideas?
    Thanks, Roger L.

There are some parts available for a Legend NT. What's wrong with it?

Quote Originally Posted by 1997CST View Post
    There are some parts available for a Legend NT. What's wrong with it?
    I haven't taken it apart. The repair shop it went to - General Air - called me and said that the "head was broken" - and that they couldn't get NT parts. That sounds way out in left field because for what it went in for which was a general disassembly and cleaning. It worked fine before it got drowned by the rain.
    Do you know if I can get motor parts? My bet is that the generator coils and that sort of stuff is fine. It only has less than 100 hrs on it.
    Or should I just scrap it and go for new?
    Roger L.

Engine parts are avalable for Kohler and some for Onan. I've never seen a broken head on either engine in 17 years. I'm assuming that's what they mean by "broken head"? Since they charged you $100 to tell you that I would get an exact clarification on what is wrong and what it needs and why they think that's the problem. You paid for it. Maybe I can take it from there.

I'd say they meant the "generator head" not an engine head.

Whatever the case, sounds to me someone just wants to sell you a new machine. Thousands of these units have been drenched in rain and keep on tickin'.

Start the thing up and see if it welds and produces auxiliary power.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Quote Originally Posted by 1997CST View Post
    Engine parts are available for Kohler and some for Onan. I've never seen a broken head on either engine in 17 years. I'm assuming that's what they mean by "broken head"? Since they charged you $100 to tell you that I would get an exact clarification on what is wrong and what it needs and why they think that's the problem. You paid for it. Maybe I can take it from there.
    Well, I don't know what you mean by "take it from there". I could send you a copy of the emails between myself and the repair shop for all the General Aire Service and Supply welding stores in this part of Colorado. I did ask. I called everyone there and the they even let me talk to the tech that did the work. Basically, they refused to tell me what "broken head" meant. Maybe it's their catchall term. They said they didn't know if it was a valve, the head casting itself, or a head gasket. Just a "bad head". And they wanted $100 to return it. After stewing over their refusal for a couple months, I decided to pay their $100 charge to get my NT back. The $100 doesn't get me an answer....not if they refuse to give one. What can I do? What $100 gets me is the welder/generator back from their shop. - Just as it was except missing about half the bolts that hold the sheet metal on. So at least they did that.

Now that it's home, when I get some time I can take it apart and see what is really wrong. Cure my curiosity if nothing else. Maybe they are right and the head did spontaneously crack or whatever..!
    Of course I know and they know that it is probably something they messed up trying to shortcut the cleaning. I'd originally agreed to pay them $700 (minimum) to do the cleaning....it's all documented in the series of emails if you are interested.

My guess is they are betting they can stall better and for longer than I can afford to pursue it. They're probably right; even if it is their fault, when dealing with big firms like General Aire - well, us little guys just can't do much.

What I need to do is figure out where to go from here. Probably just buy another - and do my own work from here on out. Certainly not use that welding shop anymore.
    rog

If it is a head problem there are used heads for this machine. I haven't checked in awhile but I believe new valves are still available. The only time I've had to replace a head on these is when the valves were not adjusted and the valve pounded the valve seat out of the head. but anything is possible. I've got old heads for this engine so all is not lost yet. When you figure out what is wrong let me know. Joe