Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tig welding gas

Default Tig welding gas

Need to buy some shielding gas for my new tig welder. Call the local welding shop and the rep told me I could use CO2/Argon mix (the same gas mixture I use in my Mig welder). Is this true, the rep said he has never used a tig machine before, so I really had some doubts about his information. I need some advice on which gas to buy. The manual states Argon is the one for Aluminum, SS and mild steel. I will be practicing on mild steel and SS for right now, any help on the right gas would be appreciated....

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead
    Need to buy some shielding gas for my new tig welder. Call the local welding shop and the rep told me I could use CO2/Argon mix (the same gas mixture I use in my Mig welder). Is this true, the rep said he has never used a tig machine before, so I really had some doubts about his information. I need some advice on which gas to buy. The manual states Argon is the one for Aluminum, SS and mild steel. I will be practicing on mild steel and SS for right now, any help on the right gas would be appreciated....
    Like the "Manual" says, 100% argon is the gas you want to use for tig on SS, MS & aluminum.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Default Local "welding" shop

You can also use a coat hanger in a pinch for stick welding, I'd find a different local resource for advice....

Cool Gases

Argon is the only gas you should be using allthough you can use heluim

The manual states 100% Argon. Its that simple.

Default Ur website

Quote Originally Posted by JHCHOPPERS View Post
    The manual states 100% Argon. Its that simple.
    Looks like I should have visited your place, I have been within spitting distance a million times!! Nice work on the bikes, wish I still lived in the area, would love to p[ick your brain!!

Carefully

The Mushroom