Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 988 Bucket work

Default 988 Bucket work

Few pics of a bucket I,m working on lately.Side deflector to direct rock away from sidewalls.And a wear plate AR 500 12ft x4ft.Side deflector are 1/2"AR.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by admweld; 03-31-2014 at 07:02 AM.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Looks like a fun job, Gotta be loving that crane.

Wow, Ive never seen a mow board wore that bad before ( Now that's what I call a receding gum line ) I cant believe the teeth haven't fallen out.

I,m going to be putting pc's in between those shanks.This is a 1979 machine and only has 4000hrs on it.When those teeth start snapping I will get the call to replace them.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Wow that's a big bucket. I'm kinda glad I don't get stuff that big. Looks like the cutting edge is radiused so the middle teeth stick out farther than the side ones. Never seen one like that. Looks like you're fitting it nicely, wouldn't expect anything else.
    Last edited by MMW; 04-01-2014 at 05:53 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Thanks MMW,That bucket is called a Spade bucket .This wear plate I welded with Dual Shield first time I have done this in the field.And I'm liking It.The deposition rate is awesome.I will be getting a tent setup together for doing this.Anyone got a good portable idea?Was thinking just a few 2x4,s cut with points and a couple of small tarps and spring clamps.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

I always just used my welding blankets. Would hang them between the job and my truck (when I was still using the IHC) with bungee cords and visegrips.

We usually call that a "vee" bucket out here. Common in rock pits and mines. Easier to dig into a pile or hard ground with a wide bucket.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by admweld View Post
    Thanks MMW,That bucket is called a Spade bucket .This wear plate I welded with Dual Shield first time I have done this in the field.And I'm liking It.The deposition rate is awesome.I will be getting a tent setup together for doing this.Anyone got a good portable idea?Was thinking just a few 2x4,s cut with points and a couple of small tarps and spring clamps.
    Pardon my ignorance, but I have never had the term "deposition rate" explained, would you be able to elaborate what you mean when you say you liked the dual shields higher deposition rate? Thanks.

Disposition rate = pounds per hour. You will normally also see an efficiency rate, which translates into actual weld metal left after all flux is evaporated off during welding or knocked off as slag.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

I see, thank you for the response. A higher deposition wire or electrode would be a better choice if you have filling to do? Like a gap, or where material needs to be built up?

Very nice work on the bucket Adam btw. How did you cut the radiuses into the front edge of the plate you are adding?
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 04-01-2014 at 06:30 PM.

No, a higher disposition rate simply means you can lay more work down faster, and in this case better, than any alternative methods.