Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Winter Project part 2

More photos of the titanium grill project.

Now it's just a wait for warmer weather
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Here is another goofy project from the "nerd with no life".

I got these Sure Shot sprayers at a yard sale.
    They have a standard schrader tire valve for pressurizing them which is very clever.
    The ones I got are stainless steel but they are no longer manufactured.
    Sure Shot has switched to aluminum for the current production.
    Very useful as I can spray almost anything thru them and they came with spare O rings, nozzles and valves.
    Sure Shot also sells repair parts so I'm sure these will outlive me.

I use one for bug spray and another for WD-40 to keep things moving.

Only drawback is that the body is larger in diameter than a regular spray can and as I am using them for extended periods, my finger would get tired.

Looked around and found after-market handles for regular spray cans such as this one by Krylon but they would not fit the Sure Shot sprayer.

So here is my $100 version.

All stainless steel and I can refill the tank without removing the handle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Nice job on that - I have a couple of the older versions of the "A" model, holds a quart - be advised though - if you come across one of the larger ones and it's chrome, the older ones were chrome plated BRASS, and carried a warning NOT to use them with ammonia based chemicals -

My other one is white painted steel, those were fine with ammonia stuff.

http://www.sureshotsprayer.com/SteelSprayers.html

Steve

Hi BukitCase,

I also have a model A sprayer but since it was used, I was never able to get it working properly.
    It would lose pressure gradually.

If I tightened up the stuffing box nut so it would hold pressure, the valve trigger became too tight to work easily.
    Easier for a dummy like me to just swap out a valve and spray nozzle when they stop working.

I did like the handle placement on the model A so I modeled my version on this design.

Thanks for posting the link to Sure Shot.

Do you have to worry about water getting in them when you pressurize the canister off of your air compressor?
    Thanks,
    Nick

Hi kiwi,

Never had a problem with water in my air lines as I use a separator filter and an automatic drain valve on the compressor.
    I figure if the air works for my Hypertherm 1000, it's good enough for the sprayer.

The bug spray I use is water based. pyrethrum. I get the concentrate and dilute it down to 1/2 % to 1% which is very economical. Costs about 50 cents for a 16 oz fill.
    We have been having a bit of problems with wet weather and mosquitoes so spraying helps to keep them away.

And WD-40 is supposed to displace water so it seems to be ok so far.
    Much cheaper when I buy it by the gallon.