Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Link Belt Stick Repair

Got a call from customer of mine few weeks back to fix this.Machine got moved to a site to hammer need to plate the flanges when they get it back.Operator tried to push a large boulder with the hammer.This was the result.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

I had trouble figuring out what exactly happened the first time I looked at it. Now I see the problem. I guess the operator had one of those UH-OH moments. Did you have to do it on a ladder? Any extra plates over the outside when you got done putting the original pcs. back together?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I did two repairs like this this month, both on Cats. Operator side sweeping the boom with the tooth buried.
    Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    I had trouble figuring out what exactly happened the first time I looked at it. Now I see the problem. I guess the operator had one of those UH-OH moments. Did you have to do it on a ladder? Any extra plates over the outside when you got done putting the original pcs. back together?
    Gonna plate the flanges around bores with A572 GR50 3/4" when machine comes back in off job.And yes was on a 12' step ladder most of this repair.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

that plate is good and strong but yet its very brittle. everytime i see an operator side loading a boom i let them know just how wrong it is.but you can only warn them . had a guy at the yard givin me signals to swing the boom over and pickup but i wouldn't do it .that guy started yellin with some choice words for me to follow his signals but i wouldn't. i walked away from the crane and went and had a nice talk with him about side loading a crane . i build offshore hydraulic cranes and i repair them for a living and i seen way to many accidents happen because someone was doing something that they shouldnt have been doing.had to go cut a crane off a exxon platform that was tore off it's pedastol because they tried to unload a boat in rough seas. talk about something that will have your butt pucker so tight .had to set up a boom pole crane to hold the crane up after i cut it i was in between the handrail and the two cranes when i cut it.the boom pole crane is basicly a few sections of 8" pipe with flanges so you can add how many pieces you need to do the job. it's got a small winch at the base of it.
    they look very wimpy but yet they are some strong little cranes.

looks like you done a great job on the repair of that link belt.

I'm looking at the pictures, I see no evidence of any side-load. I think it is just like Billy (Admweld) said, the operator used the hammer improperly, and destroyed the joint up top.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Oh, and by the way, nice repair, Billy.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    I'm looking at the pictures, I see no evidence of any side-load. I think it is just like Billy (Admweld) said, the operator used the hammer improperly, and destroyed the joint up top.
    He tried to push a boulder with the hammer.The distance off the stick from where it pins on probably multiplied the force on that part up top by at least 3 times more then normally would be with just a bucket on the stick.Exactly joe this was not caused from side loading.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

He must have been really getting tough on the machine to have a break like that. Or it is a weak spot. Either way, nice repair.
    Jeff

Default Welding method.

Quote Originally Posted by admweld View Post
    Got a call from customer of mine few weeks back to fix this.Machine got moved to a site to hammer need to plate the flanges when they get it back.Operator tried to push a large boulder with the hammer.This was the result.

What was the welding process you used........ver impressive repair.