Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Miller 252 issue

Decided after running older units for years it was time to purchase a new unit for the home stead.Purchased a new Miller 252, 230/460/575 model, set it for 230volt operation.
    The problem is severe excessive splatter, running .035 ms wire with 75% argon 25% Co2 at 20-25 lpm. I can only weld about 8-12 inches before the whole tip closes over from splatter and quits working.
    Tried varying volts and wire speed according to owners manual, but with no luck.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Lyle

Quote Originally Posted by montana-green View Post
    Decided after running older units for years it was time to purchase a new unit for the home stead.Purchased a new Miller 252, 230/460/575 model, set it for 230volt operation.
    The problem is severe excessive splatter, running .035 ms wire with 75% argon 25% Co2 at 20-25 lpm. I can only weld about 8-12 inches before the whole tip closes over from splatter and quits working.
    Tried varying volts and wire speed according to owners manual, but with no luck.

Thanks
    Lyle
    Check the polarity.

Griff

Cool

Check next the nut on the spool hub. My new 252 was so tight it wouldn't feed right...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Try the Miller #169724 1/8" Recessed nozzle with the 1/2" Orifice. It improved things for me. I no longer have that issue even on straight CO2. It did that now and then before I changed nozzles.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

i know what you have going on there, its more of a gun issue than any thing else, the gun that comes with the 252 does not like heat. the weldor is real comfortable running hot welds, but the gun cant keep up with the welder, get a different gun is what i did, a bernard q

Default miller 252

Thanks guys will give these a try.

Quote Originally Posted by montana-green View Post

Thanks
    Lyle
    What voltage and ipm are you running?

Check the nuts/lugs on the lead and ground cable. Sounds like a bad ground to me. I'd even grind a spot bear for the ground clamp just to rule it out.

I did go with a 1/2" orifice and 1/8" recessed nozzle. Seems to weld much better.

Don't give up I really like my 252

Default Miller 252 issue

You didn't state the material thickness you are using. I used the info you did provide to determine a solution. Looking up weld settings on Millers iphone app this is what I found.
    For 20 gauge steel the settings are;
    15 - 16 volts
    105-115 ipm
    You stated you ipm as 20-25. Therefore I'd say you ipm is TOO low.

Lyle, your info in first post is a bit confusing - if that 20-25 number is inches per minute wire feed, it's 'way too low and could easily cause burnback. If it is really Liters per minute gas flow, it's about 5 TIMES what's required.

If you can clarify EXACTLY what you are welding and what ALL your settings are, it'd be easier to help... Steve

have you found the welding specs on the machine, there are no door charts on my 252, the specs are kinda hidden on the front close to the top, those specs are very close and they are calibrated for 75/25 mix, un like the older machines which were calibrated for co2, try using what they say, i found on mine that the voltage was a bit high, requiring more ipm,s, but that maybe caused by a high line voltage input to the circuit box from the power on the pole. once you get used to the machine, pay attention as to how it runs during different times of the day, weather/temperature will cause a fluctuation in line voltage. there fore causing a change in settings, but not by much, or any, i just mentioned the line voltage for a FYI. good luck. kevin