Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

Default New Dynasty 280DX

Fed Ex brought my new Dynasty 280DX today. The cooler is back ordered. A kid at Christmas I'm not very patient. I rigged it for house water, it was easy. The sound was sort of soothing hearing water trickle.....until I struck an arc! What an angry little bee! I had some salvaged 1/8x1" aluminum angle. Fusion welding, it looked great, right up until it cracked up the middle. I did better with filler. Haven't figured out how to change wave shapes yet. I'm tired. Off to bed.

Congratulations! I am a bit jealous. Now how about some pictures?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch (for sale)
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Jealous me to, pics or it never existed... Enjoy it!

Tell us if the leap forward from the dialarc is proportional to the money involved please.

Quote Originally Posted by willie b View Post
    fed ex brought my new dynasty 280dx today. The cooler is back ordered. A kid at christmas i'm not very patient. I rigged it for house water, it was easy. The sound was sort of soothing hearing water trickle.....until i struck an arc! What an angry little bee! I had some salvaged 1/8x1" aluminum angle. Fusion welding, it looked great, right up until it cracked up the middle. I did better with filler. Haven't figured out how to change wave shapes yet. I'm tired. Off to bed.
    Good on You Willie..!!!

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default Couldn't wait any longer for the 280

I bought the 200 DX last spring -- couldn't wait any longer for the 280, but sort of wish I did. It was a leap forward from my Syncrowave. The DX can weld almost anything without a lot of drama getting it set up and I hate to say it, can make a beginner advance a couple of notches up the profession.

I could use the extra grunt of the 280 at times, but most likely don't need the 350. Portability is a real nice extra too. I can throw it in the car or take along on the tractor and do a quick field weld if needed.

I will upgrade some day when time and money permit.

Congrats on the new machine and good luck. Keep us posted on how it works for you.

Regards;

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post

Tell us if the leap forward from the dialarc is proportional to the money involved please.
    Early review: It does everything the Dialarc does. With less skill I make a better looking joint. As my limited professional welds are not graded on their beauty, it will never pay for itself. It will make me more willing to have the world view my work.

Quote Originally Posted by pcbye View Post
    I bought the 200 DX last spring -- couldn't wait any longer for the 280, but sort of wish I did. It was a leap forward from my Syncrowave. The DX can weld almost anything without a lot of drama getting it set up and I hate to say it, can make a beginner advance a couple of notches up the profession.

I could use the extra grunt of the 280 at times, but most likely don't need the 350. Portability is a real nice extra too. I can throw it in the car or take along on the tractor and do a quick field weld if needed.

I will upgrade some day when time and money permit.

Congrats on the new machine and good luck. Keep us posted on how it works for you.

Regards;

Peter
    I,m not convinced a TIG welder needs three hundred amps. I am convinced it needs an adequate duty cycle. If stick welding, at least in my case projects tend to be big, not so pretty. Even then 300 amps is rare. Even with the Dialarc it had a 200 amp stinger that was never overloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post

A shameful extravagance. I plead no contest. If you aren't building airplanes, you don't need one. Tools have to make sense. Toys don't have to be as logical.
    The Dialarc is a **** of a machine at 1/5 the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I,m not convinced a TIG welder needs three hundred amps. I am convinced it needs an adequate duty cycle. If stick welding, at least in my case projects tend to be big, not so pretty. Even then 300 amps is rare. Even with the Dialarc it had a 200 amp stinger that was never overloaded.
    Does this mean that I have to get rid of my Dynasty 350DX and do penance for my wretched excess??....

OK... back to the stone age....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Does this mean that I have to get rid of my Dynasty 350DX and do penance for my wretched excess??....

OK... back to the stone age....
    Are you Catholic? If so you should feel guilt! As penance you must carefully box it up and send it to me. I'll take responsibility for it.

By the way, why didn't you tell me I wouldn't need to clean aluminum? That thing is amazing! I have 2 4' x 5' x 6" 4 drawer floor units I've carried in my van since 1995. The drawers are pretty beat up. I carry up to 100 lbs in each. The one I repaired tonight was as dirty as you'll see. The end where the handle is was partly torn off. I cleaned it as best I could with acetone, a carbide burr and brush in a drill motor. much of it is overlapped so I can't get in to clean. At 70% EN Advanced square wave with a pulse of 4 per, I think 50%high, 30% low it welded like a dream! Jody would have been proud of his student. Securing dividers, I ended up at 60% EN, with little effort at cleaning it welded fine. On 16 gauge I ended up with 3/32 ceriated it balled quite a bit, I could have gone to 1/8"